1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2000/Hardware Startup Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GomerOfDoom, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GomerOfDoom

GomerOfDoom Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm not a newbie to computers... I'm generally comfortable formatting and reinstalling my OS, drivers, and other programs. I have built a couple computers and have fought my way through several problems. I certainly wouldn't call myself an expert, but I'm at least comfortable with computers.... However, this problem has me stumped.

Here's the deal:

System:
    Shuttle AN35N-Ultra Mobo
    AthlonXP 2500+ Barton
    512 PC2700 RAM
    geForce2 GTS AGP
    Windows 2000

When I first built the system (a month or two ago) I had the mouse and keyboard plugged into the PS/2 ports. Recently, I changed my keyboard and mouse from being plugged into the PS/2 ports to the USB ports. When I started up the computer, everything went normally... system posted fine, I got the black screen with the white meter that says "Starting Windows" (or something), but then, on the next screen (with Win2000 splash, scrolling blue bar, and blue meter), something weird happened. The blue scrolling blue bar would slow down to a crawl (it moves at like one pixel per second) and the blue meter would stop. I remedied the problem by returning the mouse and keyboard to the PS/2 ports. This is fine with me... don't really care if my mouse and keyboard are USB or not.

The problem is that I have some other peripherals I'd like to plug in... namely a PDA cradle that plugs into the serial port. Whenever I try to plug it in, though, I get the same weird startup problem as I did with the keyboard and mouse in the USB... blue scroll bar on the windows startup screen slows to a crawl and the blue meter freezes.

I have absolutely no idea what could be causing this strange behavior. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Oh yeah... one more unrelated thing... I get a lot of low-frequency hum when I connect my stereo into my sound card (SoundBlaster Live Value!). Any thoughts on what might cause this? I have about 20 feet of wire between the card and the stereo... could this cause it?

Thanks again...

-Paul

2. doogdoog

doogdoog

Aloha,
    It doesn't sound like an enabling problem in bios but you could check that out if it has that option. It seems like a ps problem with low voltage when you add to the system. I know you will say, why does it work in the ps/2 port. I can't answer that because I don't know how the voltages are configured on the mobo. You can try unplugging the 20 ft wire and see if it helps when you plug into the usb ports. The hum can be caused by poor grounding and also by the ps so I would check out the ps if unplugging the 20ft of wire doesn't help. TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

3. Rache

Rache Banned

Only things I can think of is your psu may not have enough wattage.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Gomerofdoom
    Welcome to TSG!
    Merged your two threads. Please only create one thread per problem. If you are unsure of where to place it create it in your first choice and use the report button in post to ask the moderators where to it should be for best results.

Dave

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Gomerofdoom
    It is possible you do not have the current updates for USB. I will link you to the Shuttle download site but do your research there before you download and install any of the updates available. Make sure they are applicable to your system and OS.

You may also wish to review your bios settings and current version.

Let us know if that corrects the problem.

Shuttle downloads AN35/N Ultra

Dave

6. GomerOfDoom

GomerOfDoom Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses, everyone.

First a little correction... my mouse has been plugged into the USB port the whole time... it was only my keyboard that was causing the problem earlier. My keyboard is now in the PS/2 port. The problem came back when I tried to plug my Sprint SPH-I300 Sync/Cradle into the SERIAL port (not USB) and start up. (The meter would would freeze and the blue scroll bar would slow to a pixel by pixel crawl).

My power supply is a SPARKLE 400W... so I think I've got enough power.

However, I DID try installing the USB 2.0 drivers off the link you sent, Dave.

Restarting without the cradle plugged in went fine (as usual), so I shut down again and plugged in the cradle. Upon restart, the problem appeared to come back... the meter stopped and the bar slowed to a crawl. I have sat and waited for a long time for things to keep going in the past, so this time I wasn't going to wait too long. However, I had just barely touched the reset button when I noticed that the meter and scrolling blue had restarted. Got into windows just fine. Restarting a few more times, the problem seems to have stopped. I haven't tried my cradle yet and I'm not sure I trust this thing to be fully fixed, but for now it seems to be working.

I will post again with any more news.

Thanks for all the help....

-Paul

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice