1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2000 Networking Problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by glueboot, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glueboot

glueboot Thread Starter

I'm having some problems getting my dad's computer to connect to the internet through a new router. The new router is a Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router and I'm connecting through an ethernet cable.

The computer is connecting to the router and being assigned an IP address but it isn't connecting to the internet.

The ethernet card is a 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller

All of the wireless laptops using Windows XP on the network are able to connect so I was wondering if I needed to change any of the settings on Windows 2000. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What is the IP address given? If it's 192.254.x.x then that means it's an APIPA address (automatic private IP address). This IP address is given to your machine by Windows if it fails to find a DHCP Server (which hands out IP addresses).

If you can, in command line, do the command IPCONFIG /ALL and post the results here. The main things I would like to know is:

Dhcp Enabled, Autoconfiguration Enabled, IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DHCP Server, and DNS Servers.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, the APIPA addresses are in the range 168.254.x.x.

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    my bad... done subnetting today in class with the 192 IPs... :)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not to nitpick :) but I vote for 169.254.x.y for APIPA.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    wahhhh you are picking on me [​IMG]

;) :D

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "wahhhh you are picking on me"

Darn! I was aiming for John.

Don't worry, glueboot; we're not always this weird. Post the requested ipconfig /all and folks will get serious trying to help.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    *sniff* really?

:D yeah we (well me) is playing. :) Obviously the sanity will return when we get the IPCONFIG :D

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're right, I screwed up the address when I was picking on sopmeone else! :eek: I'm going to have to tighten up my typing. :D

10. glueboot

glueboot Thread Starter

Okay, here they are:

DHCP Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfig Enabled: Yes
    IP Address: 192.168.2.6
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server: 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers: 192.168.253.254, 172.16.0.134
    Primary WINS Server: 172.16.0.134
    Secondary WINS Server: 172.16.0.135

THanks! :)

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Have you compared these vaolues ot the ones in the working laptops? What if any is different? Only the last octet of the IP address should be different.

Something in this looks "off" to me is there a reason 192.168.2.X was picked as the IP address scheme are you running behind multiple routers?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From the looks of that ipconfig info the computer is connecting to the internet, but the DNS information is all hosed. Probably should be only 192.168.2.1, and should be 'obtain DNS auto.'

Note to StumpedTechy: The default IP addr. on my Belkin wireless router is 192.168.2.1. He is using a Belkin product also.

13. glueboot

glueboot Thread Starter

Yeah, the Belkin router's address is 192.168.2.1

The DNS server on my laptop is 192.168.2.1 so that looks like where the problem is.

P.S. I'm a she :)

14. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Interesting to know. Is it Belkins default to also start the DHCP right after the IP for the router itself? Notice how this one is 6? I know with Linksys they usually provide a range starting defaultly at 100.

I guess all these just look a little off because its not what I am used to. That and I have not used an ISP that provides wins before.

15. glueboot

glueboot Thread Starter

I'm not sure about the DHCP although I haven't changed the settings so I'm assuming that it is the default.

The Wins thing might be the problem though as there's no Wins Servers provided on my laptop. My dad has a habit of fiddling with things on the computer so maybe he's done something that has messed with the internet connection.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice