1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win2000 - no start after repartitioning

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by predator79, Nov 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. predator79

predator79 Thread Starter

hi everyone

i thought i'd install linux on my pc, and i had 2 empty partitions, so using partitionMagic5, i deleted thos partitions and moved the other ones to free the space at the end of the disc. ok, so i didn't install linux, but now, win2000 starts up, lets me log in and says 'no swap space, please setup your swap files by right-clicking on ....etc.', and right after that message, i get taken back to the login screen.

has anyone got any idea of how to repair this? thx alot guys,

Abdul-Kareem Abo-Namous

2. predator79

predator79 Thread Starter

ok now i think i have pinpointed my problem: after recreating the two deleted partitions, no 'swap file missing' message anymore, but after login i am immediatly resent to login. i think this is because my user profile was on drive L:\ (the win2k drive) which is now drive M:\ (after the whole partitioning misery), and can't be found by the system. so what i need is to remap those drive names to be correct, but alas, how without being able to get into w2k?

thankful for any kinda help, cya

Abdul-Kareem Abo-Namous

3. brianF

brianF

You can change your drive letter assignments in start/settings/control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management But I have never done it so beware.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried to boot into safe mode? I do not know if you can reassign drive letters in safe mode. If it is possible in safe mode, assigning drive letters is pretty straight forward.

5. marioh

marioh

I had the same exact problem where you end up in an endless loop (thanks MS !) of password, error, password, error, and so on.

My problem was caused by using a smart bay with a 2nd Win2K hard drive while having the original Win2K drive in the laptop at the same time.

I fixed this problem using FDISK /MBR

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS COULD CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS THAN IT FIXES SINCE YOUR SITUATION IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN MINE (EVEN THOUGH THE PROBLEM IS THE SAME).

I have no clue what effect using the above command will have on your other partitions if they already have data or other OS'es on them.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice