Win2000 Pro update problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KayQ

I installed 3 updates: KB891861, KB901214, and KB903235. Now the computer is bogged down. I have been able to get into safe mode, selected Profile 1, no go. I have been trying to get into Add/Remove Programs and after an hour have the dialog box with the following text across the top: "ChangeorRemoveProgramsAddNewProgramsAdd/RemoveWindowsComponentsSetProgramAccessandDefaults." The words are run together but there is nothing else so far to indicate any programs, hotfixes, etc. I don't know where to go from here. My computer is a P4, 2.4 GHz, 1024 MB RAM with Win2000 Pro. The first two updates are installed on my husband's computer (P4, 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, Win2000 Pro) but I don't know if the third one is the problem. I had another update before that was OK on his computer but messed up mine. I had to call Microsoft before with the previous update problem and spent a couple of hours on the phone getting the update removed after finally going into DOS and typing instructions from the tech.

When I was in safe mode, I noticed a debugging choice. Is this something I can try or is this for hardware?
Thanks, Kay

Hi KayQ. I hope you've found a solution to this problem by now, because it's one that could drive a person crazy. In case you haven't, it's worth trying an uninstall of the last Windows security update that you installed. You can do this in add/remove programs in safe mode. I had an identical problem to yours on a Windows 2000 domain controller, and KB901214 turned out to be the culprit. Regards, Limbo.

KayQ

Thanks for the response. I wasn't able to remove the updates via Add/Remove Programs but was able to remove them with a program called Uruninstaller. This didn't help, so I called Microsoft tech support and they weren't able to help and suggested that I call the computer manufacturer and walk thru my recovery disk. I did this but alas the recovery disk didn't start up correctly -- i.e., it didn't display any choice except to reformat the hard drive. I did this and chose the wrong file system, FAT32; so I reformatted again to select NTFS and this time 3 choices came up for recovery w/o formatting, reformatting and one other that I can't remember. By this time, it was too late. The tech support person at the computer manufacturer was not any help since she didn't know much about the recovery disk. So I learned the hard way. I haven't reinstalled all of my programs yet, but I did have my most important data backed up on floppies. I lost all of my emails and IE favorite sites, etc., plus some Word and Excel stuff that I hadn't backed up recently. I tried backing up these files before I reformatted but the OS was so screwed up that I couldn't do this. The one thing I haven't figured out yet is why everything displays larger than before. I have a 19 inch monitor but have to move from side to side now to read some stuff on the internet that I am researching.

One thing that truly irks me is that because I have the Pro version, Microsoft charges $245 for tech support instead of $35. I didn't have to pay this time because it was their critical updates that screwed up the computer. This is just a home computer, not business related; but I got the Pro version so I wouldn't have all the garbage programs to remove. I asked the MS techie if I could update to the XP home version and he said no that I would have to go with XP Pro because I have 2000 Pro

Kay

Kaye,

That is a sad tale indeed.

Re: Your display. Have you tried right clicking on the desktop, selecting properties, selecting settings and then increasing the screen resolution? If no higher resolution is available, you will need to install the correct display driver for your hardware, although that should already have been done by the recovery disk.

Re: The recovery disk. My understanding is that recovery disks will always reformat your hard drive. That's how they restore your system to its original condition. You will then have to reinstall all your security updates, except the nasty one that trashed your system, of course.

Re: Floppy disks. These days they are being manufactured to such low standards that I wouldn't recommend anyone use them. Have you thought of getting a flash memory drive? They are getting cheaper by the minute, hold plenty of data and are way more reliable than floppies.

Re: Win2KPro. As Windows 2000 only came in a Pro version and various Server versions, I can't see what alternative you would have had at the time (assuming the computer was set up in the pre-WindowsXP era) apart from Windows ME, which is and always was a joke of an OS, in my opinion of course.

That's too bad about your email and faves. It happens to everyone eventually, though. You live and learn!

Good luck reinstalling everything. I wouldn't mind betting that you end up with a leaner, faster system for all your troubles.

Regards,

Limbo.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online