1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2000 Questions - Password?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by compilerxp, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. compilerxp

compilerxp Thread Starter

I have a friend with a new notebook with W2K and SP2 (No SP3 for obvious reasons).

This is an upgrade from his older failing system. I Did a clean basic install with the Dell "image" CD. Then installed Norton Systemworks 2003, Office2000, Acdsee and a few other programs (media player, IE6, Acrobat etc). I am rather NEW to Windows2000.

1 - It seems to always want to TALK to the network. Why does it seem to run as a server. (same with XP... with "MSN Messenger wantting to run as a server - when I thought (how foolish of me) that I got rid of it) - thank god for REAL firewalls.

2 - (The imporant one) is that I have a problem with the screen-saver password. First, I didn't GIVE it a password! 2nd, when it comes out of screensaver mode, it ASKS for a password...!!!

I tried both the ADMIN and user password, not good enough. Also the notebook is set to NOT ask for a password to boot into Windows2000.

Once, I was able to get a User Log-in window and was able to enter the Admin password without it complaining but the end result still ended up having to SHUT DOWN the computer and reboot.

Kinda hard to enter a password that was never set to begin with.

3 - Networking. It seems slower at finding other computers on the network compared to Win98se. Other computers (win98) cant seem to find it (and yes sharing is on), it takes a while, but it does get access to the others. I use IPX for local network only.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice