Win2000 remote access

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sidbub

Help, my home office DSL is out of service temporarily. My other computer runs Win2K. I need to get remote access to my office server. What and where do I go to download a solution? My other computer is presently on a cable modem which I have no problems with. I do not want to screw up that connection. Just to be able use the remote access when needed. Thanks.

sidbub

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I guess I am confused. How would you access it remotely if the Internet connection is down. Your only other option would be if there was a dialup modem in the server and it is accepting RAS connections.

sidbub

I want to use my home computer using W2K which is working and connected to the internet to be able to access my company's server remotely. My business computer is connected through a DSL and as it has XP on it, the XP has a built in remote access app. is. I have two broadband connections at home. The one that's working is the W2K unit with no remote access. Hope this clarifies this issue for you. Thanks for your response.

sidbub

jiml8

I do that exact thing with my ASP server (running Win2k). I installed cygwin and TightVNC on the server, and I access the server commonly using either an XP laptop that also runs cygwin and the TightVNC client, or with a Linux system.

On the server, I have the Unix SSH daemon installed in cygwin and running as a Win2K service, and I have Windows TightVNC version 1.3.7 release candidate (not the 1.2.9 release, which has some bugs) installed and configured to only accept connections from localhost.

On the client, I set up an SSH tunnel (using the unix ssh in cygwin) to get me to the TightVNC installation on the server, allowing me to remote control that machine. If I don't need the desktop, I just ssh in using the cygwin ssh (or the Linux ssh if I am on the linux box) and do whatever I need to do.

I am too lazy to type in the tunnel command every time I want to do it so I have it set up as a shell script that I invoke from the cygwin bash shell. The contents of that script file are as follows:

ssh -f -L 5901:localhost:5900 myaspservername -N
"C:/Program Files/TightVNC-unstable/vncviewer.exe" localhost:1

This script, when executed, sets up the tunnel and invokes the viewer. Remote control, with high security, is just that easy.

sidbub

I was just thinking I could download an app to give the Win2K box a remote access capability like the XP box has. Something simple as I am not a network guru.

sidbub

jiml8

I don't believe you will find a third party app that connects to the WinXP remote access tool. TightVNC does the same thing as the WinXP remote control, but is not secure. Actually it is quite insecure, hence the SSH tunnel.

You might look at UltraVNC which is more secure or you could go with a commercial remote control product such as PC Anywhere.

Download the Remote Access application from Microsoft and install it on the 2K machine.

sidbub

jmwills, that's what I was looking for. By any chance, would you happen to know the name of that file?

sidbub

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I am still totally confused but glad someone was able to figure it out. Too much information in this case I guess.

Squashman basically they have a server that allows you to remote desktop in he has 2 PC's at home 1 is XP and is what he usually uses to connect to the server but the connection is down. He has a W2K PC that does not have the client natively installed so he cannot connect in. So he has been pointed to the client.

It took reading the entire thread to glean this myself :) I think it was a combination of wording from sidbub's posts and jiml8's posts that confused me because he was talking about setting it up from scratch.

Rockn and jmwills got him on the right track though.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
yes, I know about the client. I just thought he was trying to go the other way but had no internet connection. I think if he would have just not stated the internet connection problem I would have been fine because in reality he does, but just with a different machine. I wasn't sure which way he was trying to go and from what machine he was trying to connect to and from.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online