1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2000 start up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KLT, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KLT

KLT Thread Starter

I have recently installed windows 2000 OS. I find it very annoying when I boot up I get a welcome to windows panel asking me to press control-alt-delete to begin. Please can anyone tell me how I can remove this from start up.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

It is in control panel under User Accounts. You should find it in there somewhere. I am on my XP machine right now but I think it is in the same place.

In Control Panel, double-click Users and Passwords.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Click to clear the Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Del before logging on check box.

Attached Files:

3. KLT

KLT Thread Starter

Hi LwdSquashman
    Looked in control panel, cannot find user accounts or anything there similar that gives me the option to remove.

4. rawmeat

rawmeat

Are you the only user of the PC? If so, you can set the system to auto logon to whatever user you would like. It is recommended that you use a non-admin account normally and you could set the auto logon to that and logout and login as an admin when needed. To set auto logon, open regedit or regedt32 and navigate to HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\winlogon, then change the value of AutoAdminLogon to 1, and enter the username and password in their respective values (defaultusername, defaultpassword - you may have to create the password value).

When the system boots, it will login the specified account. If you log out, then the prompt for username and password will be displayed if you want to log in as another user.

5. KLT

KLT Thread Starter

Thanks rawmeat
    That worked just fine. I appreciate your help.
    take care.

6. Squashman

I dont recommend screwing around with the registry if you dont have to. If you dont have Users & Passwords in Control Panel then someone or something has screwed something up with your computer.

What happens when you do this:

start > run > control userpasswords

It is possible that a group policy may have gotten set so that you dont see certain things in the control panel.

I sure would like to see a screen shot of your Control Panel.

7. Squashman

There is also a help file on this in Windows Help!

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice