Win2000 start up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KLT

I have recently installed windows 2000 OS. I find it very annoying when I boot up I get a welcome to windows panel asking me to press control-alt-delete to begin. Please can anyone tell me how I can remove this from start up.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
It is in control panel under User Accounts. You should find it in there somewhere. I am on my XP machine right now but I think it is in the same place.

In Control Panel, double-click Users and Passwords.
Click the Advanced tab.
Click to clear the Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Del before logging on check box.

Attachments

KLT

Hi LwdSquashman
Looked in control panel, cannot find user accounts or anything there similar that gives me the option to remove.

Are you the only user of the PC? If so, you can set the system to auto logon to whatever user you would like. It is recommended that you use a non-admin account normally and you could set the auto logon to that and logout and login as an admin when needed. To set auto logon, open regedit or regedt32 and navigate to HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\winlogon, then change the value of AutoAdminLogon to 1, and enter the username and password in their respective values (defaultusername, defaultpassword - you may have to create the password value).

When the system boots, it will login the specified account. If you log out, then the prompt for username and password will be displayed if you want to log in as another user.

KLT

Thanks rawmeat
That worked just fine. I appreciate your help.
take care.

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
I dont recommend screwing around with the registry if you dont have to. If you dont have Users & Passwords in Control Panel then someone or something has screwed something up with your computer.

What happens when you do this:

start > run > control userpasswords

It is possible that a group policy may have gotten set so that you dont see certain things in the control panel.

I sure would like to see a screen shot of your Control Panel.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online