win2000 upgrade --Inaccessible boot device

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tvance.net

If I ever just upgraded someones computer with no snages, I might have a heartatack....

266Mhz system, with Win2000 pro on board, I upgraded MotherBoard and Chip (went to MSI K7t turbo 2 and a AMD XP2000+ !) new vga card and thats pretty much it. Same config and cards and all.

It fired up with old motherboard, now with new one it goes through INITIAL Windows progress bar, THEN Win 2000 Spalsh screen that says "Starting Up" at bottom, gets 3/4 through and I get this!

***Stop: --(bunch of numbers-lemme know if you need these--
Innaccesible_Boot_Device

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appeats again, follow these steps.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk /f to make sure it is not corrupted and then restart your computer.

Refer to manual for more info on stop screens....

Well I cant get it to let me in on safe mode, I get same screen,,, and I cant get to a command prompt, same screen again!

ANY HELP????

Is there someplace I can download startup disk files? (If I had win2000 startup disk I could get to command prompt right, win 98 startup would not help would it -- or is chkdsk command same on all OS's)

Thanks so much for any and all help~
tvance

Seems to me the problem is the new motherboard chipset and drivers. Different from the old. Sorry to say I am unsure of how to fix it. With win98 you would boot in safe mode and then remove all the system devices in device manager and reboot, let windows reinstall them.

Could be wrong, unless someone knows how to fix it you may have to put the old motherboard back in, remove the devices, shutdown, then try it. Really not sure.

tvance.net

ya im afraid i will need to put old motherboard back in and then install driver files for new motherboard on old system, while running on old motherboard...can anything ever be easy?! arg!

thanks!
tv

This is a very common problem. It rears its ugly head on almost any change of hard disk or main board. Microsoft has a lot on this subject in their knowledge base; however, none of it has any effect on the problem and thusly all I've seen from them on the subject is then simply a long string on meaningless, ineffective words.

I have run into this problem so much, I just want to vomit when I see it. So much for the soap box.

I have found a couple on solutions that have on occasion worked for me:
  • If you are running an 80-conductor IDE cable, be sure the bootable hard disk is at the end of the cable, not at the center terminal.
    If you are running a 40-conductor IDE cable, move the bootable disk from the end of the cable to the center terminal or if it is already at the center, move it to the end.
    If you are running an extra-length IDE cable (20 inches or so), get a shorter one.
    If you are running an 80-conductor IDE cable and the above suggestion doesn't work, try swapping it for a 40-conductor.

All of these things have worked for me on various machines at various times; but, remember, there is no 100% solution for this problem so just keep hammering away at it.

I just changed my main board and processor for the second time in two months and had to start from scratch with Windows 2000 both times. Windows 2000 is supposed to be so great and wonderful; but, Windows 98 is superior to 2000 in this area.

tvance.net

I am 99.99% SURE its a DRIVER ISSUE WITH NEW HARDWARE from reading all posts:

Heres MY QUESTION:

If I UPGRADE TO XP, will it find the new hardware? and then allow me to put drivers in?

She would rather do that , over having to back up 40GB of stuff for fresh install.

hELP!

Im getting the same error message and have been poking around. Before you do anything drastic, get into dos by createing a boot disk for dos, use another computer and download it frm an internet site. Then follow microsoft's instructions on thier page for his error http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q122926

Thats about all I can offer because I am still in search of the boot disk. But from what I do know about the "boot disk error" is that it come from programs installed or from just a corrupt windows boot file or from you bios configuartions.

If you souped up your computer, that could be the problem, but chances are its your driver configurations and what not, or if the system was running and then refused to run, its a program on your computer, such as roxio easy cd creater, that was my 1st issue. The numbers following the stop command (the ones in () ) are the file numbers causeing the problem, the microsoft sight can help you with that. Also, search in here for more info I know there is other strings on this problem. See what people had to say about that, and if I fix mine, Ill let you know ;)

Emily

I just had the same problem..........upgraded to a ABIT KX7-333 with a amd 1800+

I tryed EVERYTHING, finally loaded on top of the old OS. While updating windows, the modem froze and then 2k wouldnt see my cd-rom and burner.

oh well.........fresh install and all is fine.......for now
thankfully, I have 98 installed on the other hdd, so i didnt lose anything.

Id like to kick bill in the head...........geeky lil man

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online