1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2000Pro: User account login hang

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jmc, Oct 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Just as a followup, the problem seems to have been fixed by changing the user profile type to "local". Now, if I can just figure out why it was being changed in the first place...

Recently, I added Windows 2000 Pro to my system. I've been using it pretty exclusively, but I've run into a problem.

The problem started a couple of weeks ago, for no discernable reason (I'm sure there's one, I just don't remember it!): My user account started hanging on login. I could log on to it fine, though, if I logged into the Administrator account first after a reboot, then logged into the user account.

That is no longer true. Now the user account hangs every time. I know that the problem is with one of the programs that autostart on login. Problem is, in Win2kPro, I don't know how to turn off programs for that user account only!

I want to turn off all auto-starting programs, and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, I'll turn them on one by one, logging in and out for each, until I find the problem program...

I suspect the problem is with Norton's Systemworks 2002 suite, but I don't know where. I'm reluctant to just uninstall it from Admin, because I've already received Bugbear once this week, and don't want to leave myself open for possible further attacks.

Appreciate any application of Clue that you can provide. I'm pretty savvy with Win98SE, but am still in the learning curve with Win2000.

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi jmc, Welcome to TSG !!
    Go to start ,search, files and folders
    Type in startup
    then search
    Under the user account that is hanging click on its startup folder see whats there and delete what you thing is the problem it is just a shortcut
    Make sure it is the documentand settings/ user name/startup /program folder

3. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Yes, the first thing I did was clear out the startup folder - only Norton's AutoProtect was there, but it didn't solve the problem.

In Win98SE, I can go into a folder (been a few months, don't remember it exactly) under System Information, and there's a list of everything that starts up, I can uncheck each item I don't wish to start on login. *This* sort of thing, or something similar, is what I'm looking for, in the *user account only*, in Windows 2000 Pro. Does such a thing exist?

Alternately (at work), in Windows NT, I can log on to a workstation remotely, and edit the registry. In Win2kPro, Is there a way that, from the Administrator account, I can edit the user account registry from the same computer? Is this done in Win2K the same as WinNT, if I can connect to this machine from another on the network?

Incidentally, I did get the user account working, for now, when I noticed that the profile type was set for "roaming" rather than "local". I haven't logged off the account yet to see whether this will hold, but I don't understand why the profile would convert to roaming - I have a peer-to-peer network set up, but it is inactive (the other computer is off). I connect to the internet through dialup.

Even if the profile type was the problem, I still need to know the best way to toggle program startup options within a single user account, if this is possible in Windows 2000 Pro. Appreciate your assistance!

Again, appreciate any help you can provide. I am not unexperienced in troubleshooting Windows computers, but Win2KPro is new to me, and I'm still learning!

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi jmc,
    Go here Download the Startup Control Panel. Install it as administrator. After install open it in control panel. There you will see all your startup options. Just uncheck the ones you dont want started. Then go to the user account and see if you have a problem

5. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Thanks, looks like a handy little applet. Not sure if it's the complete answer (haven't run it yet) as it looks like you have to be logged into the user account to see the user's startup info - which doesn't help if I can't complete a login on the user account.

I'm guessing as I haven't received an answer to the question "how can I turn off startup options in a specific user account only from the Administrator account in Win2Kpro", that there isn't one... but I keep thinking "there must be!"...

Thanks for your help, the applet you've pointed out is definitely something I'll find useful!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/98597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice