1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2k can not boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pattom12, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pattom12

pattom12 Thread Starter

I inadvertently disabled my hard drive in device manager and now can't boot. I have booted via cd and gotten into control panel to the c:\winnt directory. I have done a listsvc to see what is disabled and see a number of items disabled. As I recall, the items disabled in device manager which caused the problem was called "system storage" and then the actual items disable was called "generic" or "generic drive" which was shown 3 times. I disable all three of these-stupid, stupid! When I do a listsvc to see what items are disabled (as an example "Abiodsk" is disabled) but I do not know what to do to enable it. When I run the Enable command it gives me the following:

SERVICE_DISABLED
    SERVICE_BOOT_START
    SERVICE_SYSTEM_START
    SERVICE_AUTO_START
    SERVICE_DEMAND_START

The last four are called valid start_type values so in order to enable Abiosdsk the command would be:

ENABLE Abiosdsk [start_type].
    But, which start_type do I enter? SERVICE_BOOT_START?

I need help figuring this out. Thanks

2. maxgrant

maxgrant

Abiodisk looks like it's disabled by default. I don't believe that's your disk. The "disk" service is supposed to be set to SERVICE_BOOT_START. So is "ftdisk." Try those. Generally any device-level service (which is just a driver) is supposed to be boot. System-started services come up after boot. BTW, I did this on a laptop running an IDE drive. If you have a SCSI disk you probably have to find the driver the interface and start it as well.

3. pattom12

pattom12 Thread Starter

I am traveling now and will not return home until 4/12. I will look over the list of services and may have more questions early next week. Thanks for your help.

4. pattom12

pattom12 Thread Starter

Both Disk and Ftdisk show as "boot". The items shown as disable are as follows:

Abiosdsk
    abp480n5
    acpiec
    adpu160m
    aha154x
    aic116x
    aic78u2
    ami0nt
    amsint
    asc
    asc3350p
    asc3550
    atdisk
    buslogic
    cd20xrnt
    cdfs
    cpqarray
    cpqarry2
    cpqfcalm
    cpqfws2e
    dac960nt
    deckzpsx
    dmboot
    efx
    fastfat
    fd16_700
    firport
    flashpnt
    ini910u
    intelide
    ipsraidn
    lp6nds35
    mraid35x
    ncrc710
    ntfs
    pcmcia
    ql1080
    ql10wnt
    ql1240
    ql2100
    remoteaccess
    simbad
    sparrow
    symc810
    symc8xx
    sym_hi
    udfs
    ultra66

I am using a single IDE drive-no Raid, no SCSI. I enabled NTFS and set it to boot but I still got the blue screen of death. Any other suggestions?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice