1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2K domain computer can not see XP machine on workgroup LAN

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brookway17, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brookway17

brookway17 Thread Starter

I use a Dell D800 laptop at work which is on a domain. When I hook up the notebook to my local area network at home I can not access the XP computer that is one of the computers on my workgroup network at home. The laptop can hook up to the other Windows 2000 professional computers on the workgroup network and all of these computers can also hook up to the Windows XP system. I use a Linksys wireless router to access my home workgroup network. All other aspects of the network function properly I can even VPN into my domain network at work. The workgroup IP for router is 192.168.1.1 with a Linksys router is set up as a DHCP server a signing IP addresses in the range of 192.168.1.100 through 150. A router subnet is 255.255.255.0. If I go into the router set up I can find the IP address assigned to the XP computer by looking in the DHCP client table. If I then search for the computer using this IP address I can find and access the XP computer. However I cannot find it when I search for the computer by its name. Any assistance in resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

lets keep this simple, Windows 2k and Windows XP, dont work well together..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/399929

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice