1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2k driver installed on Win98 machine

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by skarz, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skarz

skarz Thread Starter

One of my coworkers installed a HP printer driver for Win2k on a Win98 machine. When he rebooted it gave an error message saying he needed to restart Windows. When he did, he booted into safe mode and this error message appeared.

{sbs.drv cannot load because vsbs.386 is not avialable. Check sys.ini Windows Configuration file}

I have no idea what to do b/c I've never experienced this. Can anyone help me get this thing going again. Thank you:confused: :confused:

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

Try going to Start, Run, then sysedit. Click over to System.ini, then just go to Search, Find, then type in sbs.drv or vsbs.386. When it's found, type a semi-colon ( ; ) at the start of that line. Then save and restart.
    After that, I'd remove the printer and re-install it using the correct drivers.

If it's a local printer, and you can change the drivers from within safe-mode, it might get rid of this error for you.

Good Luck

3. skarz

skarz Thread Starter

Ok, I got him to try that and it didn't seem to change anything. When he reboots he gets a messge saying Windows Protection Error - You must restart the machine. When he does it comes up and gives him the choice to start in normal or safe mode. What does the semicolon do at the beginning of the line? Both of those files were found and he put the semicolon in the far left side of the line those files were contained in. I'm having to walk him through over the telephone so I can't be sure if he's doing exactly what I'm telling him too. Thanx for your help thus far though.

4. columbo

columbo

Hi Skarz,

Placing a semi-colon in front of that line, basically excludes that line from being executed when the system boots up.
    I think that your friend should just try going in through safe-mode, opening up his printers folder, and deleting that printer. I always thought that sbs.drv had to do with the soundcard, but I may be mistaken. Tell your friend to right-click on My Computer, and select properties. Then go into Device Manager, and see if any of the devices listed have an exclamation mark besides them.
    Is this a network printer, or local printer?

Post back when you get a chance.

:)

5. columbo

columbo

Hey,

Thought you might want to try following the steps outlined in this article:

http://www.iomega.com/support/documents/10835.html

Don't worry about whether or not the system is a Gateway, or whether or not the drive is from Iomega. It doesn't matter. Try this and see if it helps.
    This might explain why I thought it had to do with the soundcard.

Good Luck

6. skarz

skarz Thread Starter

The printer is local. It never got installed. He downloaded an exe file for Win2k and when he ran it, he said it didn't get very far and then said he needed to restart and when he did, he got that error message. I tried that link and there was no PCI sound card icon and the only sound card icons didn't have any settings tabs.

Again thanx for your help.

7. columbo

columbo

Hi,

OK. Go into safe-mode. Then go to Start, Run, and then type in msconfig. Click on "selective startup" and take the checkmark off of system.ini.
    Then restart and see if the system boots up without giving you the error.
    You didn't mention anything, so I'm assuming that there were no errors found in Device Manager (ie-missing drivers).

Thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Columbo

P.S- If he still has the printer plugged in, tell him to remove it before he boots up.

8. skarz

skarz Thread Starter

Well I just talked to him and he said that about 5 minutes ago it shut itself down and now he can't even get any lights to come one. Who nows?? He said he's just going to box it up and send it back to Sony. Thanks for your help though and have a good day.

9. columbo

columbo

:(

Sorry Skarz.

I guess the problem was more serious than it appeared to be.

:confused:

Columbo

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!