1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2K Error Message: "winlog.exe - DLL Initialization Failed"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shthap3ns, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shthap3ns

shthap3ns Account Closed Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I really need some help from you smart people out there :)

I'm using Windows 2000 Professional with an AMD 1800+ computer. It's been quite stable for a few months now, but now all of a sudden I started having problems shutting down/restarting my computer. Everything I try to restart, an error message pops up saying:

I don't know what's causing this, it just kind of happened out of nowhere. The problem is, it shows up everytime I try to restart, and everytime I click on the 'OK' button, the computer does not shut down, but continues to pop up the error message until I go insane and hit the reboot button on the tower. I've downloaded all the service packs and OS updates from Windows Update, I don't know what can be going on. It's a problem because when I install a program that requires a reboot, the programs do not install correctly. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

By the way, here are event logs of the errors:

System Log

Source: Application Popup
    Event ID: 26
    Description: Application popup: winlog.exe - DLL Initialization Failed : The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down.

Application Log - There are 3 processes here that I think are causing the error.

First one, winlog.exe is started:
    Source: winlog
    Event ID: 0
    Description: The FireDaemon process was started.

Then, upon a reboot,
    Event ID: 100
    Description: The service failed to shutdown correctly due to subprocess being unable to be killed. Error code: 5.

Also,
    Event ID: 107
    Description: Subprocess monitoring failed due to subprocess is no longer active. The subprocess is probably dead. Restarting the process. Error code: 997.

Would appreciate any insight anyone might have.

2. enforcer911

enforcer911

3. shthap3ns

shthap3ns Account Closed Thread Starter

enforcer,

Thanks for replying. That's a good site for future reference (I'm going to bookmark it) but the problem is that I'm not missing any DLL files I don't think. I'm suspecting the configuration for winlog.exe is screwed up. I also found out that there is a certain MRTG program, if installed incorrectly, will produce the exact same errors in the Event log. I'm somewhat sure that it has to do with the MRTG program, but I've never installed this service, and Windows 2000 does not list it as one of the installed services when I type "net start" in the command prompt. I'm still looking into this matter and hopefully I won't have to reformat my computer to fix this problem. If any one has any other suggestions they'd be appreciated. Thanks!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I answered this somewhere, I believe FireDaemon is the root of your problem, or rather whatever it's starting. I'd chase down what program it's making into a service and start your debugging there.

5. enforcer911

enforcer911

www.mybootdisks.com is another good site..I wish I could install this webcam,but for some reason my pc can detect or even manually get this crap webcam to work.Im not gonna fight it...

I had a friend and he came to myhouse with a labtop.but he didn`t know how to work the DVD/cd so I tought him...

Now I got a ?.....He has on his labtop win 2000 profetional.I got win98SE on a Hp V5..its old and has 32mb ram and a pen-1..

I DL his 2000 on a floppy for safe keeping..can I use 2000 on this pc...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!