1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2k Hanging At Startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by iknowkungfu, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iknowkungfu

iknowkungfu Thread Starter

After installing my new Crucial RAM, startup takes longer...

Basically when the colour loading screen for Windows comes up (with the block bar at the bottom, it will load normally until the bar is completely full, at which point it will hang for about 30secs, and this is the really weird part, the image appears to 'drop' by 1 pixel, except for the last 10 or so vetical lines.

When I try increasing the amount of memory assigned to the onboard graphics processor, the hanging goes on for much much longer - it takes about a minute and a half if I set it to 64MB (longer the higher I set it). When it gets past this screen, the wallpaper is green with the loading dialogue (rather than Win2k blue when its starting up normally), which suggests to me that its in safe mode.

For about a second it comes up with a STOP message (something I've only ever seen once before) written at the top, on a BSOD-blue screen background.

It gives me no error messages at any time.

My housemate suggested using a command that will show what windows is doing when it hangs at startup... any ideas?

Specification:
    Shuttle SN41G2
    - onboard GeForce4MX 32MB

AMD 2500+ Barton
    333MHz
    1x Crucial 512MB PC2700
    1x Kingston 256MB PC2700

Windows 2000 SP4

Thanks everyone and anyone in advance!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/286706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice