1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2k HDD Light Stays On

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by curt37, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curt37

curt37 Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I clean installed Windows 2000 Pro on a machine formerly running Win ME. I have 2 hard drives, 20 gig [factory] master & 80 gig slave and 2 optical drives, cd ROM [factory] master and a DVD R/RW slave.

After installing Win2k, the "hard drive" or "system" light stays on even when the hdd is not grinding. If I unplug the DVD drive the light goes out [except when the hdd is active]. Everything seems to run normally either way. However, being a little OCD, I can't sleep or watch TV or anything else, knowing that light is staying on. So, ME is back on it now.

The specs are as follows. Thanks for any help.

Compaq Presario 5080US
    Intel Celeron 800MHz Processor
    256 RAM [128 factory & 128 upgrade]
    20GB HDD [factory] master
    CD-Rom [factory] master
    80GB HDD [Maxtor] slave
    DVD R/RW [Liteon] slave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!