1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2K: How to change drive for Swap file?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vynce, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vynce

vynce Thread Starter

Hi folks. Okay, so I recently upgraded from various WinDOS platforms to W2K Pro. Really like it but can't seem to tweak it for speed as readily as the old guys. Anyway, right now I am trying to put the swap fille on its own disk partition. So I used Partition Magic 7.0 to create a 512 MB partition which I want to use exclusively as a fixed-size swap file. Using X-Tech X-Setup 6.1, I specified the new partition and 512000KB (500MB) for the swap file. Re-boot and the swap file has not been changed nor resized, still residing on C: drive (according to System Properties, and System Information). Cannot change drive location in System Properties, either.

What do I do?

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Take a look at this article from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q242447

Also, make sure that eveyone has full control on the new partition. Not having this has been known to cause problems.

You can also try to force set it in the registry. You will have to go to hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\session manager\memory management and locate the key that says paging files. It should be a reg_multi_sz. Double click it to edit it and type in D:\pagefile.sys 500 500. Sub your drive letter for D:.

Hope this helps.

3. vynce

vynce Thread Starter

Brooks: Hey thanks. This is a great site. Got your response right away and went to work. Of course, options 1 and 2 went nowhere so I did the regedit. I was shocked with that wierd box of values that comes up when you double-click the value to edit. But I found where it listed the drive letter and changed it. Worked perfectly.

Thanks again.:):) :)

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Your welcome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60944

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice