1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2k install issue

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gilleygirl, Jul 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gilleygirl

gilleygirl Thread Starter

I am installing win2k on a known working pc and cannot complete the setup. I have formatted the drive and created a partition from the OS CD. After setup completes the message appears that I need to remove any floppy disk and reboot to complete. The pc restarts and I am again back at the begining of setup showing the partitions and size available and asking to format and stating that the partition already contains a windows folder that will be deleted if I continue. I have no other options but to format or quit the setup. Restarting the pc without a CD prompts me that no operating system can be found on the drive. Very annoying!

2. kenbok51

kenbok51

Is your hard drive SATA or IDE? I ask because that's what would happen to me when Installing the early version of WinXP to a SATA drive and forgetting to install the SATA drivers via floppy (Press F5) at the beginning of the installation. I don't think Win 2000 can even use a SATA drive, but I don't know for sure having never tried it.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, win2k can be installed on a sata drive. Most of the time, you will need to set the sata controller to legacy or ide mode.
    Next you need to post ALL of the exact system specs [on the system you are attempting to install win2k] ie exact motherboard, exact cpu, exact ram, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand and model#

4. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that's a "known working PC".

Is there a Windows operating system running in one partition, and are you trying to install Windows 2000 in the other partition?

---------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174813