1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2K Keyboard woes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by downwitchyobadself, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself Thread Starter

Hello friends. I have a user who has apparently fried her keyboard driver installing a new mouse, I think Logitech, on Windows 2000. I will have more particulars for you later in the day, but already there's a pretty straightforward problem:

When she boots up, the keyboard's working. Whether booting in safe mode or regular, by the time it gets to the "Press Ctl+Alt+Del to login" screen, the keyboard's off. Which means she can't log in to fix the problem. (The mouse works, by the way, when plugged into a USB port, though not in the traditional serial port. Not that that helps open win 2k.)

Since 2k was installed off an update CD, we can boot into 98, which means you can get past the login screen, but fixing the keyboard there isn't going to help me fix it in 2k, is it?

Thanks for your hard work.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Is this one of those multi-function keyboards with all the assigned keys for mutimedia, etc?? If she loaded the drivers for that it might throw things outta whack. If there was an ERD made for it you might want to try repairing the Win2k installation.

3. downwitchyobadself

No, it's just a simple keyboard. It was installing a new mouse that locked it up.

4. downwitchyobadself

Thanks anyway, fixed it. It was caused by the Logitech wheel mouse driver, the user had installed off an "old" CD (she just bought it), and the driver was screwing up the keyboard.

Gotta love tech support: if you search the MSKB for "keyboard not working", you don't get the article. If you search it for "keyboard", you do. And their solution doesn't work. Logitech's does, but their DOS syntax is wrong ("TO" in REN statements...) And these people actually get paid to do this stuff...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice