1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2k mapped network drives

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DarrenW, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarrenW

DarrenW Thread Starter

I'm running a Win2K pro client on a NT network. I have 3 drives mapped to various NT servers. Although i have re-connect at log-on selected, whenever i re-start or re-logon the drives show as disconnected. 95% of the time i just have to browse the disconnected drive and it re-connects but it's a hassle to have to browse the drives first in order to use certain network apps. Suggestions?

2. plejon

plejon

Win 98 makes a distinction between 'Quick logon' and 'Logon and restore network connections'

Have a look at http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/msnetreb.htm , bottom of the page

Not sure if W2k Pro has the same option, but you might want to look in that direction

3. DarrenW

DarrenW Thread Starter

unfortunately W2K doesn't have that option. Funny thing is, i get no errors on log-in about "network drive unavailable", i boot-up just fine, but when i browse the drives sure enough all 3 net drives are "X'd" out (disconnected status). I know W2K has a time-out feature in the registry that disconnects idle mapped drives after 15 min. I checked to make sure that was still set to 15 and it was. However these drives are disconnected immediately. Not a huge issue just a pain.

4. plejon

plejon

I saw the same thing with one of my customers running NT4. Just started one day, never found out why or how.

Luckily, in his case, the moment he tried to access the mapped drives, he could. So it was just one annoying click at startup, all the rest worked fine.

I'll double check if there's something similar to quick connect in the NT family.

5. DarrenW

DarrenW Thread Starter

Yes, the exact same here. One click and i have access to the drives. The only bad thing about it is on certain network applications (run from the mapped drives) i have to first click on the mapped drive in explorer (or my computer) before i can run the app (ie. i cannot just start the app from my locally stored shortcut without first browsing the drive) If i was just using the drives for file storage it wouldn't be an issue.

6. plejon

plejon

My cust had all his apps local, only shared data files on the server. Never had to "browse" the server mapped drive first to access the files.

I also looked around a bit more on the net, and I couldn't find any indication of a "quick logon" type thing on NT

7. DarrenW

DarrenW Thread Starter

i know, it's completely annoying me. i found nothing after a thorough search of the MSKB. There is nothing in the event log either. I may have to live with it but i'm a perfectionist, ya know?

8. plejon

plejon

I upgraded him last week from NT4 to XP, and now that you mention it, I haven't seen these messages anymore.

I would have to check though, if the mapped drives show up with a red cross, indicating they're not connected.

BTW: don't go out and run to install XP just yet. Lots of other things going wrong, so definitely not worth risking it for this little problem.

9. mole

mole

Hey Darren,

Can you map them once the old fashioned way with:

net use [x:] \\server\share /PERSISTENT:YES

Then have them stay that way. Excuse if you already mentioned that, I didn't read the whole thread.

10. DarrenW

DarrenW Thread Starter

hiya mole,
    no i hadn't tried the net use command with the persistent switch, so i did, and no, it didn't make a difference. back to the drawing board.

11. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Here is something that might work, create a batch file and run it as your logon script that all it does is is go one from mapped drive letter to the other. This will have the same effect as you opening up explorer and clicking on the drives manually.

F:
    G:
    H:
    C:

Inelegant, but it should work.

I have never encountered this problem before. We set up our networked apps to run from a share.

12. mole

mole

Darren,

I read your post and exchanges with other more closely. I take it that there are some apps you want to use that are supposed to run on network drives that fail unitl you "wake up" the drive letter or resource by visiting it with Explorer.

Or is it only that the drive leters are x'd out until you visit them. I run alot of apps over an NT network for about 800 to 1000 users, most 2K Pro workstations with some 9x's and frequently encounter x'd out drive letters (same thing I think as "net use" reports "disconnected") that make no difference. Out of nearly 20 drives mapped, most all x'd out, I have never had any trouble starting an app from any of them I would relate to a "disconnected" drive. No two networks can be exactly alike, but I'm trying to understand exactly what is going on if you have to "un-x" out a drive before an app will work.

Hmmm, all my Win2K machines have a check box when you map a drive by right-clicking a share in "My Network Places" (hate that name BTW) it will "reconnect at logon". If you don't have that check box, or if it doesn't work, what if you configure a link to an executable such that it must execute from the path in question, that way to run, it runs from the path which is what you want to "un-x".

Brooks' idea was one I was going to suggest about waking up the drive letters.

You come up with interesting problems.

BTW - Recently read on the web (<a href="http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxphdoms.htm" target="_blank">http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxphdoms.htm</a>) a method almost exactly as I described to you to network with XP home edition to a Domain and wondered how you made out with that.

13. DarrenW

DarrenW Thread Starter

hi guys,
    BTW mole, the XP domain problem is semi-solved. One user upgraded to XP Pro, the other is waiting paitently for me to get to him (he still has XP Home and I plan on trying the Net Use idea on that one when i can get to it). BTW, it was my first experience with XP Pro (or XP in general) and i must say it's kind of a love/hate thing. There are some nice features, but it took awhile to navigate around the thing. Thankfully it shares allot of similarities to W2K (which I use). Back to the disconnected drives problem...I don't mind the logon script idea, but it seems to much like a band-aid solution ya know? I just HAVE to know WHY (I'm like that). I'll keep working at it and use the script if all else fails.
    (Mole I went to your link after posting this to check on the XP domain thing and nearly sh*t. I KNEW there had to be a way around the "XP Home using a domain" problem. I never thought it would have been that simple. Of course I have yet to actaully try it, but from the documentation at that site it certainly looks like it works)

14. mole

mole

Hi Darren,

Still thinking about your disconnected drive situation. A few things:

1) What networking protocol are you using with Windows Networking Client, TCP/IP or NetBEUI?

2) How was the licensing question answered when your NT4 servers were set up. Do you have enough "seats"?

3) If you are running TCP/IP, is there a "keep alives" setting or something analogous on the server or would that matter?

Here's why I mention these:

At work we use TCP/IP and I almost always have network drives showing "disconnected", but it has never made any difference in application or file access to them, sort of a bogus status report in my opinion. At home, I use NetBEUI and never see a drive disconnect and I leave my system on for days and weeks at a time with no activity on certain network drive letters.

I'm also recalling that point during the NT install where it asks how you are going to meter seats, by client or connection or something like that.

Maybe something in the configuration of the shares on your NT server. I don't have my NT box running at home yet, so I can't get to a console to search for it.

I know Reuel Miller or Larry Core, both former NT moderators here, would know the answer. Also been searching my copy of Harry Brelsford's "Windows NT Secrets".

Don't give up.

BTW - The DC area is going nuts with news reporters covering the possibility of 2" to 4" of "a wintry accumulation" on Sunday PM - Monday AM. I know we are safe here, I raided the grocery store yesterday for bread, milk, "TP" and canned goods. (Kidding about the grocery store.) --- sheeesh!

15. mole

mole

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice