1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2k multiple drives path broken after reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by quickdraw, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. quickdraw

quickdraw Thread Starter

i am hoping that someone out there can help. I work at a small company that relies heavily on its pc.
    the problem is:win2k , with 2 hdds and 2 partitions.
    Someone else had set the pc up prior to me working on it.
    The pc hung up and i received an error ending with CONFIGced upon reboot.
    So i decided to use the repair feature on the win2k disc. but this did not work.the disc would not even recognize that there was a win2k install.
    so I reinstalled win2k on the c: partition hoping this would fix the problem.

the desk top did not have the familiar icons , it had the fresh install icons.
    However , i can see the files and applications on the other drives so at least i did not lose them totally, but the applications were on partition D: , and now none of the programs will work because the path is not correct, .How can I fix this problem with out copying all the excel, ect. files and burning them to a disc and reformatting?
    the c: drive contained the os. the d: the applications , and e: and f: were basically storage.
    Could there be a fix for this ? my boss is pulling his hair out. I need help bad.please excuse the spelling and grammar I am in a pickle

2. wedor

wedor

Can you use disk management to re-letter the drives to the correct designation?

3. quickdraw

quickdraw Thread Starter

The drives have their proper designation, C: D: ,ect.
    I made the aplication (D:) partition active and i can use some of the programs but i would like to get the desktop back and with some i get this error message: example for trying to open autocad.
    'The dynamic link library could not be found in the specified path D:\program files\autocadr14 R14;.;WINNT\SYSTEM32;C:WINNT\SYSTEM:C:\WINNT;C:WINNT\SYSTEM32;C:WINNT;C:WINNT\SYSTEM32\WBEM;D:\BITWARE\.'

I am running out of time , it looks like its gonna be along weekend unless someone has seem this type of thing before.
    thanks for any help you guys can give.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

With a fresh install, you will need to reinstall the apps. This is necessary in order to get the registry entries. When you did a clean install of win2k, setup starts with a fresh registry. You can install your apps to the same folders they are in now. Your work / data files along with preferences should still be there.

5. quickdraw

quickdraw Thread Starter

dumb me has had the drives c: and d: changed around, (I had to do a second install, and even though the drives letters are flopped ;I installed it into the proper old partition that previsously contained the os) I assume I changed it somehow?? erroneously, because the pc can't do it by it self can it?? lol
    so now , like what was written above , if i reinstall the apps it will make a new reg. entry and i can still use the previuos values and files that were already in there. But what i was wondering if i should change the drives letters back to see it it re-establishes the path.
    well I have backed up. and got the critcal apps to work.
    Ok, the first partiton was 2.0gb and held the os , my question is what do i need to configure so that anything coming in , even the temp files , ect go to the application or secondary partition.
    partitioin 1 its growing in size as i get the apps working ,and get the updates , I know how to install the apps to the proper dive but , before it was set up as defalut,
    What was this configuration for and whats it called?
    I dont see any real benifits as it wasn't on a scsi or anything like that , was it just a custom paging file?
    thanks for any help I hope I can use this bogus situation to learn. lol peace for now

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If one of the partitions / drives you want to change is a system [where the os is installed] drive, it will be difficult to change a system drive letter.

2.0 gig is not enough to install win2k. You are seeing the reason now as you install apps; the winnt and winnt/system32 folders get larger. The minimum size for a system partition should be around 4-5 gig [for win2k]

Since you have this problem along with the drive letters, I would just do a clean install. Backup anything you want to keep since this will destroy all data on the disk.
    Boot with the win2k cd and delete all partitions on the disk. Create one of at least 4 gig if you want just the os in the first partition. You can partition and format the rest of the disk from disk management after you are up and running.

The other option would be to use something like partition magic to resize your primary partition. I would opt for the first option since the second will not fix your drive letters.

7. wedor

wedor

PM has a utility which will change the drive letters and go through the registry and change any references to it there as well.

At this point in time I am inclined to agree totally with crjdriver though, make sure you have a good back-up of everything and start over.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/287417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice