1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2k network: Cannot access internet with Static IP address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GillIT, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GillIT

GillIT Thread Starter

I am trying to help someone who is half-way across the country to connect to the internet. He is using Win2k and just got a new laptop.

I have already walked him through using the internet wizzard, then adding his IP, Subnet mask, Default gateway, Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server.

He still cannot access the internet and I am just fresh out of ideas what other configurations I could have missed.

Thanks.

2. play1998

play1998

well first does he have a network does he have multiple pcs, a router what does he have or does he have dsl give us more info ?

3. GillIT

GillIT Thread Starter

There is a router with multiple computers on it. I have a list of IP addresses that they use.

I think they are using something like a fireline. A mock T1 line? I'm not exactly sure.

4. play1998

play1998

ok first of all can he ping the router ??? are they public or private ips, can you get into interface of the router to make sure you can see the router. if you are able to see the router then try to ping www.yahoo.com and see if that works if not then try to ping this ip and see if it works wich is the ip of yahoo 216.109.118.78

by the way is this the only computer that can't get on line, if this is so, then it could probably be that the dns info is incorrect, try to ping 1 of the other computers on the network and see if you see them, or can you look at the workgroup?

5. GillIT

GillIT Thread Starter

Problem solved.

Thanks for the help. It was just something stupid on my part. The problem was that I was built and tested at my location and I have an internet DNS service. I forgot to tell him to log into the computer system instead of my domain. Of course the computer cannot access network correctly if the domain doesn't exist.

Sorry for taking up your time.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice