1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2k Pro - Fresh Install - Unable to Logon

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by El Chupacabra, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Thread Starter

... and there I sat feeling as though I had never installed an OS before. :eek:

Hopefully, one of you brainiacs can help. I just frankensteined together a machine for my buddy's printing business. He provided his own (legal) copy of Win2K Professional. I had a real hard time getting Windows installed on this machine (probably due to the integrity of the install CD). I finally got it up and running to the point where I was able to set the clock and region, etc... But, upon reboot, I got the logon screen. When I installed windows, I did not set a user name and password. However, no matter what I type in (including leaving these fields blank) it will not let me log in. I have never experienced this with a fresh install before and I am at quite a loss as how to resolve this problem. I checked the install CD for the file WINNT.SIF (not sure if this file would exist on a Win2K slipstreamed CD) but could not find it. The only .SIF file I could find was TXTSETUP.SIF which did not seem to contain a default password for an unattended installation. Not sure what I missed here but hopefully someone out there will have the answer.

Chupacabra

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

someone has got to be entered during the setup.

i do w2k/xp/98se and the ony entry i make on the install is my name/no password and don't have a logon screen in 2k/xp and go right to the desktop.

i'd suggest doing a reinstall, following the prompts, removing, then creating partitions, formatting ntfs and going thru the install.

2k is real picky about hardware where 98se/xp are a little forgiving.
    if 2k doesn't pickup the nic ard during the hardware phase you'll need an install cd with the inf. file and it still may not wotrk.

good luck.

3. El Chupacabra

El Chupacabra Thread Starter

Ahaaaaa! I figured it out. The first time you logon to Win2k, you need to enter a user name of "Administrator" without the quotes (I only tried "admin"). Any other time you forget your user name and/or password, you can logon as the Administrator (unless you set and forgot password for that account, too). I guess the memory bandit has struck again on this one.

Thanks anyway,
    Chupacabra

:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/529099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice