1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win2k pro hanging - only cured with a hard reset

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by atconc, Aug 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atconc

atconc Thread Starter

Hi,

In our house we have a small networking running, I'm having trouble with the computer that provides internet access to the rest of the house, once or twice a day it hangs completely. This always happens while the monitor is in powersaving mode so I'm having real difficulty digonosing the problem. When the system hangs nothing makes the monitor come back on, network connections to the machine go dead but the hard disk sometimes seems to be accessing.

Event viewer is showing an error about once an hour saying

also more sporadicly, but still on a fairly regular basis

The system is:
    hardware
    Thunderbird Athlon 1.2ghz (133fsb)
    512mb generic pc133 sd ram
    Gigabyte Via Chipset Mobo (don't have model number to hand)
    Geforce 2 pro 64mb graphics
    Kingston 10/100 NIC
    ActionTec PCI Wireless Nic
    40GB Ata100 HD
    Generic DVD-ROM
    LG 48x16x48 CD-RW
    Adaptec SCSI Card (for Epson scanner)
    Alcatel USB ADSL modem

(that's from memory but i think I've got everything)

software

Win2k Pro SP4 with all windows updates
    Wingate 5 (providing internet connection sharing and bridging the wired and wireless networks)
    Norton AV 2003

I've tried running Spybot but it only came up with a few tracking cookies, nothing significant. NAV does weekly updates and full system scans as well as real time monitoring and hasn't reported anything.

The crashing generally seems to happen in the middle of the night when there may be a significant amount of network traffic from some of the clients (p2p stuff etc) but no apps running on the server pc.

Can anyone suggest what I can explore next?

2. Sponsor

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

4. atconc

atconc Thread Starter

thanks for your suggestion, I'll give it a go in the morning. Is there any particular reason you think this could be the problem?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is an amd and they have the hang problem if the patch is not installed. One of my computers used to do the same thing until the patch was installed.
    If you want the script to do this for you; some mail programs will not let you download vbs.

6. atconc

atconc Thread Starter

thanks I've made the suggested change I'll post back and let you know how it works

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/158974