Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

win2k pro hanging - only cured with a hard reset

567 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  atconc 
#1 ·
Hi,

In our house we have a small networking running, I'm having trouble with the computer that provides internet access to the rest of the house, once or twice a day it hangs completely. This always happens while the monitor is in powersaving mode so I'm having real difficulty digonosing the problem. When the system hangs nothing makes the monitor come back on, network connections to the machine go dead but the hard disk sometimes seems to be accessing.

Event viewer is showing an error about once an hour saying
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MRxSmb
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8003
Date: 24/08/2003
Time: 15:19:14
User: N/A
Computer: FAMILY
Description:
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer ATC that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{229456CC-6DB3-427A-BAF7. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.
also more sporadicly, but still on a fairly regular basis

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NetBT
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4319
Date: 24/08/2003
Time: 08:41:59
User: N/A
Computer: FAMILY
Description:
A duplicate name has been detected on the TCP network. The IP address of the machine that sent the message is in the data. Use nbtstat -n in a command window to see which name is in the Conflict state.
The system is:
hardware
Thunderbird Athlon 1.2ghz (133fsb)
512mb generic pc133 sd ram
Gigabyte Via Chipset Mobo (don't have model number to hand)
Geforce 2 pro 64mb graphics
Kingston 10/100 NIC
ActionTec PCI Wireless Nic
40GB Ata100 HD
Generic DVD-ROM
LG 48x16x48 CD-RW
Adaptec SCSI Card (for Epson scanner)
Alcatel USB ADSL modem

(that's from memory but i think I've got everything)

software

Win2k Pro SP4 with all windows updates
Wingate 5 (providing internet connection sharing and bridging the wired and wireless networks)
Norton AV 2003

I've tried running Spybot but it only came up with a few tracking cookies, nothing significant. NAV does weekly updates and full system scans as well as real time monitoring and hasn't reported anything.

The crashing generally seems to happen in the middle of the night when there may be a significant amount of network traffic from some of the clients (p2p stuff etc) but no apps running on the server pc.

Can anyone suggest what I can explore next?

See less See more
#3 ·
thanks for your suggestion, I'll give it a go in the morning. Is there any particular reason you think this could be the problem?

#4 ·
It is an amd and they have the hang problem if the patch is not installed. One of my computers used to do the same thing until the patch was installed.
If you want the script to do this for you; some mail programs will not let you download vbs.

#5 ·
thanks I've made the suggested change I'll post back and let you know how it works

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.