1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2k prof. won't boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WannaBeTekChick, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WannaBeTekChick

WannaBeTekChick Thread Starter

Hi, I've searched the site a bit and am unable to find something to cover my problem :-(

I have Win2k prof. (it's on a office computer on a win2k network). When I tried to boot, I got a message that autochk was missing and the system was shut down. I booted to DOS and it didn't recognize my hard drive at all. The 'virtual' drive was loaded to C: and the only drive accessible was/is A: I ran fdisk just to be sure that partitions weren't somehow deleted, and I see that there is a 16MB Non-DOS partition and the rest of the drive is NTFS and that portion is active. I can't extract any files to the C: drive because that's the virtuall drive not my hard disk.

Can anyone help me please???

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Autochk is an application in the winnt/system32 folder. It is possibly missing or the file has become damaged. Boot up with your win2k cd, [you will have to set the bios to boot from cd] you then will have the option to repair. I would try that, if that does not work you can reinstall from the cd. Install into the same folder / drive that your original win2k is on. Since you are on a network are you able to see your files from another computer? If so, copy the autochk file from the computer you are using to yours. Hope these ideas help.
    I am leaving on a three day trip so post back and someone will help you. Since you are on a network are you able to see your files from another computer?

3. WannaBeTekChick

WannaBeTekChick Thread Starter

I am unable to see the files from any other computer. It only tells me that access is denied when I click on my computer from another network computer. I will try to boot and repair once I get a copy of the disk...thanks...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65990

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice