1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2K - Restricting Access to Files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BlackHorseman, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlackHorseman

BlackHorseman Thread Starter

Hi,

These days I have taken upon myself the daunting task of instructing my mother in the intricate art of using a computer.

My computer.

No, I don't think you understand.

My computer!

Scary, I know.

I am running Win2K SP II, on NTFS. I would like to crteate an extremely restricted user account, so that she cannot murder my system by mistake. And, I would like to be able to block her access to certain files (like, say, my wonderful, eh, art collection), or even to limit her access to a folder or a group of folders. My question is, how do I accomplish this? I mean, I know how to create all sorts of accounts. But how can I block access of certain users to certain files or folders, or to make certain files or folders accessible only to a particular user? And, to avoid embarrassment, I need it to work 100%.

:)

Thanks,
    Daniel.

2. Tushman

Tushman Banned

Daniel, since you're using NTFS, that makes it a snap. Just type cipher /? at a command prompt (from within W2K of course) and yoiu get a list of commands. I recommend that you encrypt at the folder level for the highest security.

3. BlackHorseman

Hi,

Well, I am a bit timid about encryption, though I have learned already how to export the encryption key BEFORE reinstalling Windows :).

Isn't there another method? To simply restrict access, without encrypting? Like: right click on folder->properties->security tab and there to adjust permissions or to use the 'advanced' button?

Daniel.

4. PaulV

PaulV

Hi,

I would create an account as General User for her and then remove here access permission from the folders you do not want her to view.

If she tries to access them, she will receive an error :

Access Denied.

Paul V

5. BlackHorseman

6. PaulV

PaulV

Right click the file or folder, and select the "Security" tab.
    remove the users group

and then test it.

Paul

7. BlackHorseman

So simple... how silly of me.

Thanks man,
    Daniel.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice