1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win2K server IIS - how can I make it look like no web site is on this IP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by computer-aces, Aug 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. computer-aces

computer-aces Thread Starter

I have a Win2K server PC with IIS and several sites hosted on it. These are not large sites with a lot of traffic - just things I would like to post for friends and family. My ISP (@Home) recently sent me a warning letter saying I was running a server and to stop it. I used to have one of the site directly directly to my IP address and the rest were using host header names. But, since this letter, I have taken the one with my IP down. All the others should work. But, now when I go to my IP address in a browser, it says, "No web site is configured at this address." How can I get this to return nothing. So, when they type in my IP they won't see this error message (which basically says IIS 5.0 is installed)? Also, they say they disabled the port for this type of operation - I'm assuming port 80. Here's the strange thing... I have two network cards in the server. One to the outside world and one to a switch to my network. I have internet connection sharing enabled on the server. All the other PC's can access the internet, but the server can not. So, is port 80 disabled? If so, how can my other PC's get to the internet? Also, the other sites on my server can not be accessed from outside my network. How can I hide my web sites from them and get the internet back working on the server?

Thanks in advanced!!!

Cory

2. jgmiterek

jgmiterek

i think my friend used one of those mini router/hubs from netgear or linksys that support port forwarding....but that again still leaves the port 80 wide open for periodic scanning that @home does...to be honest i'm not sure you can make that port steathy and yes still have your web site accassable via internet, maybe when you change the port # to something different and make sure that your www server doesnt reveal that its actually a web server...

also you may want to lookinto blackice software which should let you block the scanner from @home or any segment of ip's that it may be doing the scan from....

hope this helps or at least makes some sense...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/51655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice