Win2K Server Name

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TylerP

I have just installed a Win 2000 server as a PDC and have made a mistake in the server name.

Does anyone know of any utiliies/fixes that will allow me to rename the server without a complete rebuild.

Thanks in advance

The steps for renaming a Primary Domain Controller (PDC) vs a Backup Domain Computer (BDC) are different.

To rename a PDC:

1. Control Panel / Network / Identification. Click the Change button and type the new computer name.
Reboot.
2. Server Manager / Add to Domain, add the new name as a BDC(it will actually be added as a PDC).
3. Server Manager / Remove from Domain, remove the old name and any duplicate new name entry as a BDC.

To rename a BDC:

1. Server Manager / Add to Domain, add the new name as a BDC.
2. Control Panel / Network / Identification. Click the Change button and type the new computer name.
Reboot.
3. On the PDC, Server Manager, select the new BDC and Sync with Primary. Select old BDC and Remove from Domain

Sorry, my instructions were for NT not XP. Try depressing the Windows+Break keys. Then select the Computer Name tab, and Change button.

did you do a active directory on your server?

if you did, i think you need to de-promo your pdc to change the domain name. not 100% sure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online