1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win2k/ubuntu dual boot problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by src04c, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. src04c

src04c Thread Starter

I HAD a desktop that was a 600mHz p3 (coppermine) win2k/Ubuntu machine. recently i got my hands on a better 1.70gHz 500mb DDR ram machine that had no hard drive or graphics card. Basically i just took the graphics card and hard drive out of the 600mHz machine and put them into the newer better hardware setup. Now i know that MS operating systems are chipset specific, that is if i change the intel chipset, i have to re-install the OS, Ubuntu is not so much and boots and runs fine.

The PROBLEM is that when i pop in the windows installer disc, nothing happens, i see a black screen with cursor, then the list of OS to choose. I get no view of the bios and cant configure it to boot to cd. Its driving me nuts as all i WANT to do is to delete the c:/ partition and reinstall windows onto, leaving the other (ubuntu ext3, fat32, and swap partitions) partitions as they are as they work fine on the new/upgraded chipset. What is the easiest way to delete the current MS partition and re-install windows in its place, again, without wiping hte entire hard drive and start the partitioning/hdd formatting process all over again. Thanks to anyone in advance in help of this...

2. ViprXX

ViprXX

will the computer POST and let you into the Bios if you take the hard drive out? if so, take it out then set the bios to boot to cd then put the hd back in.

good luck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice