1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win2kpro starts, reboots, starts, reboots...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 16Rod, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 16Rod

16Rod Thread Starter

I recently wiped my hdd and reinstalled 2kpro. It installed with no problems. I then installed my ati drivers, no problems. Then my cdcreator 5 platinum - again, no problems. Then I installed my sblive software. After I had installed it, I saw that there was another cd that indicated it was for windows 2000. I ran the setup on that and it uninstalled the "older version of the software" and installed itself. When it was done, the computer went through the usual restart stuff, got past the black screen, went to the windows 2000pro screen, the status bar went to the end, then instead of opening to my desktop, the computer flashes a blue screen without a message and restarts again. It continues to do this. AAAARRRRRGGGGGGG....... Help?????? Rod.

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Can you start in safe mode?

When the screen comes up saying to press f8, press it and try starting in safe mode.

If you can, try deleting the sound card through the device manager, and then restarting.

3. 16Rod

16Rod Thread Starter

Thanks Brooks, I'm heading home now, so I'll give it a shot and let you know.
    By the way, thanks to you and others for all the fine help and advice you have given to me during this time of great stress, frustration and irritation. My computer thanks you for saving it from a close encounter with a hammer!!

Thanks again!

Rod.

4. 16Rod

16Rod Thread Starter

Thanks Brooks, IT WORKED!!!
    I'm now using my home computer....YEA!!!!!
    One question though...How do I get the computer to save the current configuration so that the next time something goes wrong, I can select the return to previous configuration? (or whatever the proper wording is)

Thanks again for all the help!

Rod.

5. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Last known only is from the last boot and does not work half the time.

What you need to do is make an Emergency Repair Disk (ERD) for Windows 2000.

Microsoft has the instructions to do this here.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q231777

Also check out this article on creating an ERD.

http://windows2000.about.com/library/weekly/aa040200a.htm

I update this before I make any major changes to my system, such as changing drivers or adding new hardware. It can save you from having to do a complete re-install of Windows.

It is not quite as comprehensive as the system restore feature from XP, but it can save you headaches.

6. 16Rod

16Rod Thread Starter

Once again...Thanks! I will do up an erd right away.
    U guys rule!!

Rod.

7. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Your welcome.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/76056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice