Win3.1 Boot Floppy ????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Old Bob

Is there such a thing as a Win3.1 boot floppy ???

I have checked several sites, and they seem to go from Win95 back to DOS.

Can anyone post a link where I can download a Win3.1 floppy ??

Win 3.1 is DOS!

Seriously, any boot floppy should boot a machine with Win 3.1 on it. If you need CDROM support, use a Win 98 boot disk.

Old Bob

brushmaster1,

Thanks for response.

My Win98SE boot floppy keeps bring up "wrong version" messages ???

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
What are you trying to do? You basically need a full version of DOS installed to run Win 3.1 ontop of it.

If you are trying to transfer system files, you will need a disk with the files to match your version of DOS. If you don't know what version of DOS you have, boot with any boot disk (Win 98 should work for this}. At the A:\> prompt, type C: and hit "Enter". Then, at the C:\> prompt, type VER and hit enter.

Old Bob

Thanks for responses.

I put my Compaq CDS 524 [66MHz CPU & 16 MB RAM] back in the closet, my Linux distros [Ubuntu & Knoppix] just won't load/run on it.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Old Bob said:
Thanks for responses.

my Linux distros [Ubuntu & Knoppix] just won't load/run on it.
What does this have to do with your thread title?

If you want to run linux on that machine, try finding an older version of Linux or try running DSL (Damn Small Linux) or Puppy Linux.

Old Bob

Squashman,

I can't even get the Compaq to "look at" the CD drive on boot up. I have heard that this is a "problem" specific to "old" Compaq's CD drives.

But it's why I was looking for boot floppy.

If you use a Win 98 boot disk and select "With CDROM Support", you should be able to access the CD...

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Where did you get your boot floppy from? Did you get it from bootdisk.com?

Your other option, if you want to install linux on there, is to make a linux boot floppy to install linux on there. There is probably a utility on the Linux cd to do that. That is how I installed my first linux distro. My cd drive wasn't bootable so I had to create the boot floppy first from the cd first. Red Hat 5 back then on a Pentium 200. Those were the days.

Old Bob

Squashman,

Dumb luck strikes AGAIN !!!

Lately I have been using a "customized" boot floppy.
I system formated a floppy then just copied the files I REALLY needed.
Fdisk - Format - Scandisk - Xcopy - "And a couple more I couldn't remember"

SO, I put the boot floppy in the drive, just to review the directory.
SURPRISE !!!! AntiVir popped up with the message -
"The boot sector of this drive contains the Monkey Virus"

It looks like I have to make a "new" boot floppy and the "old" one becomes a coaster.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
yeah, I once had the Stoned Spirit virus get on a couple of my Boot Floppies. Reformatting them seemed to get rid of the virus.

Old Bob

Squashman,

I suspect I picked up that Monkey virus from the Compaq machine, I seem to recall the Monkey virus many years ago when i was using the Compaq.
Meanwhile, the Compaq is back in the bottom of the closet. On the next "slow & snowy" day I may drag it out and try and clean it using my anti-vrus CDs.

I have about "half-a-dozen" boot floppies [some I made directly from Win98SE itself] and the thought occured to "check them".
Guess what !! I found another with the Monkey virus.

FYI: I have heard that the WinME boot floppy is actually "better" than the Win98SE. Very "similar" but with more features.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online