1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win32 And Boot Sector Virus

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by esiqus, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. esiqus

esiqus Thread Starter

hi.
    recently my computer was infected with win32 virus. i tried everything to stop infection and kill virus. all anti-virus programs failed. everytime an anti-virus program found virus (later viruses) computer would shut down so not to allow anti-virus to finsih its job. sometimes virus would be found but did not allow removal. well, just yesterday my computer shut-down again and now will not let me log in and will not recognize windows registration number. i figured if i could just reinstall windowsxp completely this would take care of all window viruses. i would loose many important files but it would save my computer. during reinstallation once again virus shut down my computer. this virus is not even letting me reinstall windowxp. is there anyway i can override this and force a reinstallation?

this is the message received when trying to reboot:
    a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.(there is more to message. either telling me to re-start or go into safe mode. take out anti-virus programs or check my hard drive.)
    this is the same message i would receive when anti-virus programs would locate virus. windows would shut down and then this message would appear.
    please help.

2. Rache

Rache Banned

The best way is to start totally from scratch to wipe out everything. If you've got a floppy drive make a 98 boot disc http://www.bootdisk.com/ and close write protection tab to prevent reinfection. Then fdisk etc http://fdisk.radified.com/ which will rewrite boot sector. I'd also suggest having at least 2 partitions.

3. esiqus

esiqus Thread Starter

that is what i am trying to do now. wiping everything out and starting from zero. but virus won't even let me get into my windows. all i get is a blank screen then message that windows does not recognize verification code. once in a while it seems i have the option to log in but can't. i am trying to reinstall windowsxp to wipe out old windows. virus recognizes what i am doing and shuts down my computer. is there keys on keyboard that will force reinstallation or override message of windows shutting down?
    thanks

4. Rache

Rache Banned

Ok, we'll try again. If you answer the following I can maybe help:

Do you have a floppy drive?
    Do you have a Windows disc, and is it xp?

5. esiqus

esiqus Thread Starter

hi.
    no i don't have a floppy drive. but i do have a cd drive. i have windows xp. and i do have the windows xp reinstallation disc.

6. Rache

Rache Banned

I assume it's a 'restore' xp cd, which restores pc to factory settings and wipes out data. It just makes it harder to get rid of virus. We can't format or fdisk as this would damage restore facility and you'd have to buy a full xp disc. So all we can do is to rewrite the boot sector. Make a boot cd (instead of floppy), boot from it and at the 'A' prompt type FDISK /MBR Here gives more info http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips/a/bootsectorvirus.htm

7. esiqus

esiqus Thread Starter

thank you.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice