1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win32/Virut has locked me down

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by refugerecords, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. refugerecords

refugerecords Thread Starter

My system has become crippled by the Win32/Virut virus, as well as several other trojan horse viruses (per AVG). During the download of an application upgrade, a pop-up came up that said the computer had been infected with a virus and asked if I wanted to fix it. In my haste, I clicked OK instead of closing the window. A new DOS window opened momentarily and listed a few .exe files that were loaded and that was it. The download of my upgrade never completed and the system froze. I rebooted and from my desktop I was unable to access any applications. I was told I didn't have permission. I rebooted in safe mode and ran a full system scan with AVG 7.5. It found over 900 instances of the Win32/Virut virus and many other Trojan Horse viruses. It began to repair the viruses, but when it reached 62%, it froze. I rebooted again and then was presented with my Windows Login screen...none of my account logins or administrative logins will work, not even to safe mode. I was reading, and going to follow a similar thread from this site, but now cannot get anywhere. What is my next step here? Thanks!

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Virut affects the exe files so it's not likely you are going to get this installation to work. If you have important data it may be best to get a new hard drive for the machine. Format and reload the new drive and copy the data only from the old drive to the new one. I would not copy any of the exe files to the new drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice