1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win32

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lil1fIsh, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lil1fIsh

lil1fIsh Thread Starter

I want ti install windows 98 on a previously formatted hard drive. The C drive. I have the disk in the cd rom drive and i try to execute it and it says at the Dos prompt that setup needs to be run in win32 ...how do I do this?confused:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What does the CD say on it that you are using for the install? Is it a Microsoft Windows 98 CD. And what command are you using to run setup?

3. lil1fIsh

lil1fIsh Thread Starter

THE WINDOWS 98 DISK I HAVE IT SAYS BAD COMMAND WHEN I SAY SETUP.EXE ,...THE RECOVERY DISK THAT I HAVE FROM GATEWAY ...I TRY TO RUN AUTORUN.EXE IT IT SAYS I NEED WIN32

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

First, do you have your ProductKey for the Windows Disk?

Did you boot with a startup boot disk, accepting cd-rom support, reach an a:> prompt and then put the Microsoft CD in the CD-ROM drive?

If you got that far, try:

e:\setup

where "e" is the probable letter of your CD-ROM drive, but you will have to watch the screen on startup to be sure what letter is assigned to it.

5. lil1fIsh

lil1fIsh Thread Starter

THE DRIVE ISF AND YES I DID ALL OF THE ABOVE ...THATS WHY I THIGHT I MIGHT TRY THE RECOVERY DISK THE ONE THAT SAYS I NEED WIN32

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can't advise you on the Compaq recover disk.

You shouldn't get a "bad command" response if you used a proper boot disk and entered:

f:\setup

Try creating a new one. You can get a Win98 boot disk setup file here:

http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

I'd select the OEM version. Download the setup file to the hard drive on the system you are on. Put a clean floppy in the floppy drive and run the setup to transfer the files to the floppy. When that is done, boot the floppy with CD-ROM support on the newly formatted system.

7. lil1fIsh

lil1fIsh Thread Starter

THANKS 4 UR HELP ...ILL GIVE IT A TRY IN THE MORNING ...GOODNIGHT :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice