Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Win7 64-Bit and PC Tools Firewall

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DWreck 
#1 ·
I have PC Tools Plus 6.0.0.88 on my Win 7 64-Bit computer. I see the PCTFW icon in lower right of screen and it is blinking. However, when I look in Action Center it states: "Windows Firewall is turned off or set up incorreclty." I thought it would mention that PC Tools Firewall is being used.
I was told all version of PCTFW were compatible with Win 7 64-Bit.
Or doesn't Win 7 64-Bit recognize that PCTFW is installed, even though it is running?
Anyone else using Win 7 64-Bit and PCTFW?

Can anyone help here?

#2 ·
There are plenty of 3rd party firewalls that work just fine in Win7 64, so if there is a glitch in the notification system, I'd have to think that's a bug in PC Tools. Try contacting their tech support.

Another suggestion would be dumpling PC Tools because it's a lousy program. In 8 submissions to Virus Bulletin, it has only gotten 5 passes on the VB100 test, and it's average Reactive and Proactive detection rate over all submissions is 55.5 %; which is truly abysmal. In AV Comparatives last detection test, it was one of the two worst performing products of 18 tested.

#4 ·
I use the Windows Firewall, I find it pretty good. However, outbound blocking is disabled by default, meaning whatever program wants to connect to the network is allowed. You can turn on outbound blocking. But you then have to make rules to allow specific programs outbound, like your browser, Windows Update and antivirus ( so it can fetch signature updates). And Windows Firewall doesn't tell you which programs are attempting outbound, it just silently fails them.

Comodo firewall (free) has a top rating by matousec. Besides being a firewall, it also has a Host Intrusion Detection system called Defense+. It has its own internal white list of programs that it allows outbound and it cannot be controlled ( and I don't like that ). It is pretty easy to use, and I have it on my XP box.

#7 ·
You may be right I'm still using the Ole XP SP3 machine and that firewall from what i understand was fair as far as incoming traffic it was the back door that got left open.

Hogndog

#8 ·
If I may, ESET Smart Security 5 is a very good choice for a Firewall and Anti-Virus if you are willing to pay. If not then there are some really good free programs like Advanced SystemCare 5 it will take good care of your PC. Last but not least SpyHunter 4 will take care of all those bad every day Malware problems that can not be stopped, if your willing to pay. If not then get Malwarebyte but I don't know if this one is still free or if its the one I'm thinking of, the one with the red background and a white "M" on it was the one I'm thinking of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.