1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win7 Backup Fails Repeatedly

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Old_Fart, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

There's more than one thing wrong with the Windows 7 Backup. First, it has never worked and it fails in every attempt at backing up. Second, MS failed to provide adequate information or diagnostic tools to explain just why it isn't working! It's pitiful.

My issue is that even though Windows 7 64-bit Professional "sees" and utilizes my External Western Digital "Elements" 500GB (ntfs) harddrive, Windows 7's Backup utilility fails to find that drive when I backup to it, even though that same dialog SHOWS the external drive! Its error message says something to the effect of: "path not found". And, although I have to wait 40 minutes for it to supposedly be backing up data, it fails! If it cannot find the path, it should say that at the beginning... not 40 minutes later! Geeesh.

My system:
    MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 * CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K) * GPU: Intel Onboard * SOUND: Onboard * CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo * PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold * RAM:G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB-F3-1600C8D-8GAB * CASE: LIAN LI PC-A70F ATX Full Aluminum Tower OS: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit * BROWSER: IE9

It won't do a full backup. It won't do an "image" backup. Nothing. I don't know why.

Why?

2. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

added jpg image, but it was supposed to be inside the first post I made. I don't know why it is a separate post?

Attached Files:

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know. It may simply be the Windows 7 Backup messin' up. But it could also be a case of the External hard drive, USB port or USB cable intermittently failing, which would cause the program to suddenly "cannot find the path specified."

Just to see whether the problem lies within the Backup program how about making a test image with another program? I have been using Macrium Reflect Free. There are many others, but I have not tried them as this one works for me.

4. Lance1

Lance1

Click the More Information button at the top. It should point to the problem file saying Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\ and then give you the path to the problem file or folder. Copy and past that message in your net post please.

5. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

Thank all of you for your replies.

I copied the following screen after clicking on "See More Info"...

One thing I found out a couple of hours ago is that Windows Backup will backup to drives that are marked as "Protection is 'On'". My C:\drive (the one Windows is installed on) is that way, but the External drive is not. And, although I've hunted for a way to turn it to "On," I haven't found out where/how to do it. Does it make a difference, or not?

http://forums.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=218732&stc=1&d=1357065769

Note: I still don't now get the attachments to show in the post without them being links?

Attached Files:

6. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

I downloaded and installed their Free version. I created a new Restore Point before doing that, but Windows never shows the custom Restore Points I create. Just one more confusing issue with Win7.

Anyway, after trying to use Macrium Reflect to save an "Image" to my External HDD, it failed as it did with Windows Backup. If you need it, I can attach a copy of "Reflects" LOG file. Let me know.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since both programs are failing I'm guessing there is a problem with the external drive. Can you copy files/folders using Windows Explorer to it?

Please attach a screen shot of the Disk Management window showing the external drive.

8. Lance1

Lance1

Here's an MS Support article on the error 0x80070002

9. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

Hi, TerryNet. Yes, I can copy files/folders etc. from my C: drive to the F:\ drive. I can also delete files, move them around, etc. on the F:\ drive.

Note: "F:\" is the designation of my External WD Elements 500GB drive.

10. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

Lance1, thanks for your reply. I haven't yet made a new full-pot of coffee to drink while reading everything in that article. It's rather long and there are so many different issues discussed and alternate things to try. I'm not even sure which one(s) mentioned are related to my exact issue. I'll have to spend more time trying to understand it. I don't want to screw things up even more by doing something I shouldn't do.

11. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

After reading one of the sections of the Microsoft document, I looked at my "Folders" layout and noticed that my custom-named folders "may" be confusing the Windows Backup, but I'm not sure.

Will someone please take a look at this screenshot and tell me if I need to (somehow) reorganize it -- if it's actually organized incorrectly for use with Windows Backup?

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=218734&stc=1&d=1357070731

Attached Files:

12. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

Could this be the cause of my problem?

Attached Files:

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    May be a current problem, but it does not explain the Macrium Reflect failure nor the earlier failures.

14. Old_Fart

Old_Fart Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet! So far, I've gotten replies but no answers towards a solution.

I did do one thing differently, and it had kind of a different process it went through, but the result was the same. I plugged my external hdd into a USB Port on the back of my case, rather than in one on the front. It appeared to go through a different process, and that gave me hope while I was waiting. But, after the approx 2-3 hours of waiting, Windows is still so lame it couldn't produce a backup, and offered no intelligible answer as to why and/or what should be done to make it work.

This 64-bit OS should be capable of completing a common task, or to at least analyze then rectify the problem. I've scanned the file system and sectors on the External drive and no faults were reported. My external drive works, but Windows 7 doesn't know how to use it properly for some reason... some reason that Windows won't provide a solution for!

TerryNet, did you look at the structure of my Windows Explorer FILE SYSTEM FOLDERS (graphic in one of my earlier posts)? I have a feeling that the silly Windows "Libraries" gimmick in combination with my custom-named folders --may-- be at the core of the problem. But, I do not know enough about the convoluted file system architecture to determine if it's true, or not.

I'll appreciate any advice you can offer if I should need to reorganize the way I store my files.

Thank you for your quick reply!

15. huggie54

huggie54

found these bits of info,
    #1 START -> Control Panel -> System -> Change Settings -> System Protection -> Configure and Changed my 10% Max Usage to 15% -> Apply and back out.

#2 don’t know if it was required but I turned off schedule in backup and restore.

There is another "real" fix from someone else.

By increasing the Usage, it just eats up disk space, unless that was your problem with no "Max" set.

I finally deleted "all restore points" at the same tab as above, then "Create" a restore point right now Button, then reduced my Max down to 5% and has been working just fine.

There seemed to be one OLD check point that would never get deleted automatically and free up the space. Computer>OS>Properties>Restore Previous Versions - look at the list.

I had one OLD ONE setting there all by its self that I believe was the issue.

We got it to work by just typing "Backup and Restore" on the Search box and "Run it as an Administrator" ... crazy huh...
    Backup went through smoothly on External Drive and on internal drive.. no errors... probably disabling User Account Control may help...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice