1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win7 ceases to respond but performs background functions

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Running Windows 7 32-bit on Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4700 2.8Ghz and nVidia board, 4 Gigs of RAM (2.75 GB Usable)

I am putting this into the Windows 7 forum because this problem first presented a few days after swapping hard disks and upgrading from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7 Ultimate.

I can come back to the machine after it has been sitting idle for an hour or two and move the mouse and the blank screen comes to life. However, nothing responds to the movement or clicks of the mouse. The menu will not pop out, nor the task bar nor will it respond to Ctrl+Alt+Del or any other key presses.

This problem is not consistent, meaning sometimes it happens after hours of sitting idle and sometimes it doesn't; but, it happens often enough to be annoying. The only fix when it does happen is a hardware reset.

Strange thing though: It continues to run scheduled tasks perfectly and on time even when it will not respond to the mouse or keyboard commands.

One hard disk is a WD SATA and the other a Seagate PATA and both pass the extensive tests furnished by their manufacturers. Memtest86 was left to run continuously for about ten hours recently and it didn't turn up a problem.

2. Iceblade7

Iceblade7

Check your POWER setting in the Control panel. Make sure that your system is not shutting down the Video or display after X many hours. It will be under Control Panel, System Security, then Power Options. Check the plan settings to see what they are and adjust accordingly.

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Check the mouse settings in the Device manager. Make sure you do not have selected , under power management, "Allow the computer to..etc"

4. Alex Ethridge

Under Power Options, the computer is set to turn off the display at 12 minutes and the computer's sleep mode is set to "never".

In Device Manager, there are no power options for the display adapter and the mouse is set to never be turned off and to allow it to wake the computer.

5. Alex Ethridge

Update:

I let the computer sit idle here since my last post and came in about 20 minutes ago and used it to check e-mail. It worked okay. I came back just now to find it "stuck" again. As usual, I tried Ctrl+Esc with no result. As usual, I tried Ctrl+Alt+Del about eight times in a row. At first, there was nothing, then as I was reaching for the reset button, the task manager came up.

I don't know what it means; but, this is a first.

6. Alex Ethridge

Update:

I swapped both hard disks for different hard disks and the problem persists. Just as an experiment, I went to another computer on the network to see if I could access the problem computer during one of its episodes. I had full access to all of its partitions, to read and to write to them. Still, the computer will not respond to its own mouse clicks and a manual reset is the only thing that corrects the problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice