Win7 denying access to data holders in dual-booting computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

comradec

I've installed Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit in a dual-booting system alongside Windows XP SP3 (also 32-bit). It was a clean install of Win7.

My data - ie, documents, music, pictures, etc - is stored on a second hard drive and, after installing Win7, I relocated its documents, music, pictures, videos and downloads folders to the relevant locations on the second hard drive so that this data could be accessed from both Win7 and WinXP.

Trouble is, when go back into WinXP and attempt to open one of these folders, say the music one, a box pops to tell me that "D:\Steve\My Music is not accessible. Access is denied."

It would appear therefore that Win7 is locking these folders in some way or other.

To see if it made a difference, I went back into the properties of the music, pictures, etc, folders in Win7 and switched them back to the default location, which is of course on the C-drive.

Rebooting into WinXP, however, I found that the folders were still inaccessible.

How do I configure Win7 so that my data folders are in the location I want without also preventing my other operating system from being able to access them?

I've no wish to set up a network throughout the house; I just want to access these folders on the same machine whether I'm using Win7 or WinXP.

TerryNet

Terry
When you are booted into XP is the D: drive really where the data is or is it the partition containing Windows 7? If the latter you cannot access "My Music" because it is some kind of place holder to make some older applications work; you should be able to access D:\Users\Steve\Music.

If D: really is the data drive, did you store your music with that identification? Is Steve also your user account on the XP machine?

comradec

Thanks for the reply, TerryNet.

I think I've got it sussed now. There are access sharing controls within Win7 that are restrictive by default whereas in Vista they aren't.

So I've configured each of the data folders so that 'everyone' can access them, which is, I guess, the equivalent setup as the one I had before when running a dual-boot WinXP and Vista system.

Not sure how that status leaves me in terms of vulnerability from outside. But then a hacker would presumably have to find their way through both the firewall in my wireless router and the firewall in my BitDefender security suite in order to access my files anyway.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online