1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win7 freezes during virus/malware scan and system restore

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by BrianZephyr, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianZephyr

BrianZephyr Thread Starter

Hello,

My computer with Windows 7 Ultimate will freeze several minutes into a virus scan with Norton and Malwarebytes, and in safe mode as well. I try to install AVG 2011 but it says 'unrecoverable error occurred' so I can't. When I tried to do a system restore to a point before the problem started happening, the system restore froze too. I have uninstalled any applications that I have installed since the problem started, to no avail.

What would be the best solution to this? Use a specific virus scanning program or Hijack This?

Thank you!

EDIT: I managed to get a system restore to work from the boot menu as opposed to from within the OS, but I could only restore to January 13, which is before the problem first appeared (I think). However, malwarebytes and Norton still freeze the system in under a minute, both fully updated. AVG still won't install.

I've tried using 'repair computer' from the boot menu, and doing system image restore, but there are no system images to use. I can't do startup recovery because it won't detect any errors.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!