1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win7 Fresh Install - No Internet/Network Connection

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Web_cole, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Web_cole

Web_cole Thread Starter

Ok, I'm going to give a small amount of back story here as it may be relevant to the current problem. Yesterday I formatted my Win XP PC and tried to install Win7 on it. 3/4 of the way through the installation my PC would restart, and upon loading back into windows I would receive this error message:

“The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click “OK” to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.”

There were a number of possible fixes to this problem detailed here. I eventually got the installation to complete properly by removing my Sound Card and my Network Card.

Ok, now onto the current problem. As stated, I have a new, clean install of Windows 7 32 which seems unable to connect to our BT Home Hub router. I have an ethernet connection to the router (lights: check, and cables are secure etc) and also a Wireless Network Card which may or may not be in a functioning state. By which I mean, I have had problems with it in the past but I can't remember exactly what is wrong with it. However, as I did with my XP install I want to connect via the ethernet cable.

In the Network and Sharing Center there are no networks listed.

I have attempted to update the drivers for my MB and the Network Card, I'm not sure how successfully.

If I try to ping google or anywhere else it fails.

This could end up being a very simple issue, but I'm completely new to Win7 (and skipped Vista) so I don't really no where to go from here, and am kind of burned out after spending 8 hours yesterday just installing windows.

My PC specs:

Custom Built
    MOBO: ASUS M2N4-SLI
    CPU: AMD Dual Core 3 GHz
    Gfx Card: GeForce GTS 250
    Network Card: Realtek 8185

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I would first check Device Manager to see if you have any warning messages in there.

If this is a retail pc, could you give us the make and model of it as well.

3. Web_cole

Web_cole Thread Starter

Warning message for my network card, the Realtek 8185. Under Properties > Device Status it says:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Also, warning messages are listed for "Mobile USB Modem 1.0" and 2 "Multimedia Audio Controller" are listed with warnings, all 3 for:

The driver for this device is not installed. (Code 28)

I suppose the Multimedia Audio Controller is my sound card, not exactly sure what the Mobile USB Modem 1.0 is.

EDIT: Oh, and its a custom built PC.

4. Squashman

From what I have read about that motherboard, Nvidia does not support Windows 7 for that chipset which means you won't get any ethernet drivers.

5. Web_cole

Web_cole Thread Starter

Thought it might be something like that. Do you know of any work arounds?

6. Squashman

I read on another forum that you may be able to force the network card to use standard Microsoft drivers that come with Windows 7.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1006361

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice