Win7 Home Group Networking Issue

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RonInNYC

I read this question and answer already but didn't understand it. I have a laptop and desktop connected through a Linksys router. The laptop is wireless; desktop wired. Both are Win7. Yesterday things were fine. I rebooted the desktop and now it's connected to "Network2" and the laptop to MyNetwork, my named wireless network. So, they do not share a Home Group. yesteday, they shared a home group; today, not. I would prefer the desktop to use the wired connection. What do I need to do? Yesterday all was fine I wish I could remember what if anything I did yesteday. Also, when I try to connect to the wireless network from the desktop, I cannot. Password doesn't work. I can however, ping the laptop from the desktop but not the other way around.

TerryNet

Terry
Failure to ping is usually a firewall blocking, What firewall or security suite do, or did, you have on the desktop?

Does your router have the "wireless isolation" feature?

RonInNYC

After a very long time on the phone with linksys support, we (that is, she) determined it was the router that was malfunctioning. Upgraded the firmware, reset to factory setting, then made some customizations and it seems OK now. Keeping fingers crossed. THANKS for your help.

TerryNet

Terry
You're welcome, and thanks for letting us know the outcome. If it stays fixed you can mark this solved using the
button at the upper left of the page.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online