1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win7 Laptop can't connect to internet. SysInfo-Components>Network>Protocol=Empty

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lessthanjake328, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lessthanjake328

lessthanjake328 Thread Starter

Sate of connection = red 'x' over network tray icon.

Can't connect through wireless or wired connection. If I try automatic troubleshooting, it says it couldn't identify the problem. I've tried Googling for a while, and have tried Winsock/Winsock2 reg key deletes, several netsh cmd resets, uninstalled and reinstalled hardware/routers (through software, not physically).

In device manager, I have the Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller and Realtek RTL8191SE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter both running (supposedly). Initially, they both had caution symbols on them, but i uninstalled/reinstalled, and now they are clear of symbols. In "IPConfig", the only thing that appears are 2 VMware Network Adapters (they are supposed to be there) and a "Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface" - not sure what that is.

Something else is definitely a major problem: When I open up "System Information", then navigate through Components>Network>Protocol, the entire list, which should have 10 items, is empty.

Any ideas?

Edit: This laptop's networking has been fine for the past 18 months I've had it. I usually leave it on, but turn it off a couple times a week. Yesterday, I turned it off and had it off for about 10-12 hours. When I turned it back on, the connection was not working and the above issues arose.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, in Device Manager under Network Adapters both the ethernet and wireless appear and seem to be "OK," right?

Do they both appear in Network Connections? Enabled? Right click on each - select Properties - is TCP/IPv4 listed there and selected? (normally there are more items listed there, but IPv4 is the main one of interest)

3. lessthanjake328

I see the following when I look at the PCEe FE Family Controller:

- IPv4 Shecksum Offload -- Value: Rx & Tx Enabled
    - Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4) -- Value: Enabled
    - TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) -- Value: Rx & Tx Enabled
    - UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) -- Value: Rx & Tx Enabled

--

Under the RTL8191SE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter:

802.11d -- Disable
    Associated Power Save -- AUTO
    Beacon Interval -- 100
    Preamble Mode -- Short & long
    Roaming Sensitivity Level -- Low
    TX Power Level -- Auto
    Wireless Mode -- IEEE 802.11b/g/n
    ---

There's nothing that says IPv4 under the WiFi adapter.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In the second paragraph of post # 2 I meant the Properties of the connections in Network Connections.

5. lessthanjake328

Apologies. To answer your first paragraph in your first post, they both appear to be working properly in device manager.

When I view Network Connections through ncpa.cpl, nothing appears. When I try to "Set up a new connection or network", then select "Connect to the internet", the only option is Dial-up.

In addition: I just noticed that svchost.exe keeps running at a very high CPU load. I know that they are what run windows services, but I'm not sure why one of them would be running up the CPU so much. I tried ending the process tree a couple times, but another svchost.exe would come up a few minutes later and start running the CPU hot again. Not sure what that means

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't know why Network Connections is empty. Check to see if the Network Connections service is started, and if not try to start it. (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services)

You might also try SFC /SCANNOW

7. lessthanjake328

I ran the SFC and it did not find any integrity violations.

I'm still having this deal with several processes taking up way too much CPU. A couple instances of Svchost.exe, my Synaptics Touch (mousepad)...

I'm running a full MSE scan now.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't have any ideas on what is causing the CPU issues.

9. lessthanjake328

Any ideas on how to restore the protocols or TCP/IP stack? Maybe i can download the c:\resetlog.txt for Win7 somewhere?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

11. lessthanjake328

Still not working. Looks like I'm going to have to take all my important stuff off and reformat

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1054815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice