1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win7 network executable

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MissMooda, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MissMooda

MissMooda Thread Starter

Does anyone know what the executable file is (specifcally in Win 7-64bit) that brings up the "network and Sharing" section in Control Panel or, more specially, the Local Area Connection.

I have a problem child who needs local admin rights to run some software, but I really really really really don't want to give him the opportunity to play with IP settings and the like. I was hoping that, if I could deny him access to this one file or folder, I could elevate him to a local admin without so much worry.

Thanks all!

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    On principle this is running backwards. If you give someone admin access they can do whatever they feel like, and if he's smart enough to mess around with IP settings to begin with, he'll be smart enough to find a way out.

The best option is to find a way to run the software without needing admin privileges at all. What software is it? In some cases you can find an update or patch that does away with the need for elevation.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Have you examined the compatability tab in the exe's properties ? Maybe a compatability mode will enable the program to run.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What programs are requiring the Admin use?

5. MissMooda

MissMooda Thread Starter

Unfortunately, there are too many programs for me to list - and many are supplied by a customer when the machine and user is out of the office. Yes, I understand that it would be better for me to fix each program on a per-case basis, but, politically, I can't do it. I am being strong-armed into elevating this user. Having lost this battle, my one hope is to be able to keep the network settings locked down. Only way I can see to do tjis is to lock down ALL of Control Panel, which is too excessive for my needs.

Again, if anyone can point me to the executable so I can access its properties and change permissions there, I would be greatful.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    It appears that you are using the built in Windows "WorkGroup". To do what you want or need, you are going to have to buy and install a "Domain" type of network and server.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice