1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

win7 optimization

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Apexs, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Apexs

Apexs Thread Starter

Hi, i would like to reduce the size of my win7 pro installation on my ssd but do not have a clue where to start? is there an easy way to do this?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Assuming you also have a hard drive the relatively easy thing to do is to relocate (move) the Documents, Pictures, Music and Videos folders to the hard drive.

People also successfully move (some) programs and the entire Users folder, but I would not attempt that unless really desperate.

3. Apexs

Apexs Thread Starter

hi, thanks, i already keep just about everything i can on another drive, install everything that lets you, away from C: but im finding the windows drive just keeps growing, empted temp files etc and deleted what i feel safe to remove

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

5. Apexs

Apexs Thread Starter

Hi, Rainforest23

im using a 80GB Intel Gen2

6. Apexs

Apexs Thread Starter

i was looking at BuClean Suite 6 or RT 7 Lite, but iv never used any of them before and do not really have a clue what to remove without messing up windows

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

8. Apexs

Apexs Thread Starter

thanks Rainforest23 i will have a read of them

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

A :
    Please feel free to share your opinions. I am new [ less than 2 months ] to SSDs.
    :)

RF123

10. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

I don't understand why your C: drive would be so full if there's just the OS on it. I have a 64GB SSD in my laptop. Everything is on it (OS, programs, data) and it's still 60% empty.

11. Apexs

Apexs Thread Starter

some programs do not give you install options and are installed to C: by default, im guessing they are to blame, but look at my C drive Windows folder is 50gb! temp and SoftwareDistribution folders are empty!
    but it does seem to have only filled up recently and iv no idea why, in fact iv made the ssd bigger by reducing the size of the hidden backup partition on it and reinstalled a clean copy of win7

12. Apexs

Apexs Thread Starter

iv managed to free up 20gb by turning off the pagefile and removing a left over hiberfil.sys file as i never use Hibernation, i found TreeSizeFree app very useful

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

I contacted my friend, whose profession is data recovery. My friend is unaware of any SSD diag.

I was also told that:
    1. SSDs will fail with no warning, unlike platter drives.

2. The greatest strain on an SSD occurs during power up; to include awakening from sleep or hibernation. My friend said that 80% of my friend's business comes from laptop users with SSDs who use sleep or hibernation mode. My friend said that it is better to shut down the computer than use a setting that puts the HDD or computer to sleep or into hibernation.

FWIW

RF123

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice