1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win7 public docs folder disappeared

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ecomel, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ecomel

ecomel Thread Starter

First Name:
    AARON
    I am the sole User on my laptop running Windows 7.
    Today I copied some docs from an external hard drive into the Public Documents folder because I am planning to share the files by connecting to an office network later.
    However after copying the files over I found that the Public Documents folder has now disappeared and all the copied docs are now in the My Documents folder.
    Is this some new feature of Win7 ?
    How can I get the Public Documents folder back and put my files back in it?

PS I had also copied some pictures into the Public Pictures folder and they are still there.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. ecomel

ecomel Thread Starter

First Name:
    AARON
    Hi the howtogeek link wasn't very helpful, it didn't address possible reasons why Public Documents folder might disappear.
    The folder has now re-created itself but it's empty and the My Documents folder also now has no sign of the files I transferred across.
    What I did was I dragged the Public Documents folder icon to my Send To menu folder so it now appears on the Send To menu and I sent files from my external drive to Public Documents using right click Send To.
    Checking later the files were not in Public Documents but in My Documents and Public Documents had disappeared from the Public menu.
    Public Docs is now back on the menu but is an empty folder and the transferred files are no longer in My Documents either.
    On a hunch a checked the Send To menu folder and sure enough there is now an actual folder called Public Documents in the Send To menu folder (rather than a short cut) and my files are all neatly stacked inside that folder.
    How then can I add a short cut to Public Documents into the Send To menu if dragging doesn't work?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!