1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win7 running extremely slow after 64bit install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lawlagram, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lawlagram

Lawlagram Thread Starter

I've been putting my first build together and completed it a couple of days ago. I was using it, but realized I had accidentally installed a 32bit version rather then the 64bit of windows 7 and as a result my ram was being under utilized. I double checked my cpu and installed the 64bit version of windows, but know that I have everything reinstalled, the windows updates seemed to be taking forever, and the computer is acting very slow and unresponsive, it ran much better using the 32bit version of windows.

I'm at wits end, as the two set ups were practically identical, aside from the 32/64 change.

Parts
    AMD Phenom II x4 3.0GHz Quad-Core
    Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P Micro ATX AM3+
    Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2 s 4GB) DDR3-1600
    XFX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V

I appreciate any help.
    -Lawlagram

2. AstroNut

AstroNut

What kind of hard drive are you using? Is it an old one? I had trouble installing Win7 x64 on a WD Black 1TB drive that already had XP on it, it took 3 or 4 attempts to get it to install and work properly, after a year the motherboard died and I bought all new parts, i5 and gigabyte MB with 16gb of ram and I also used a Intel 520 180 GB SSD drive and using the same install disc it installed flawlessly 1st try and is smokin fast.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you locate 64 bit drivers for your network card, mobo chipset and other devices? Go to Hardware Manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation marked items.

4. Lawlagram

Lawlagram Thread Starter

I am using an old hard drive, so I'm in the process of reinstalling and am making sure that it completely formatted before installing. I'll report back results once the install is done and I'll pay special attention to the drivers.

Btw, AstroNut, did the old hard drive cause your mobo to fail or was that unrelated?

Also, I'll be out of town for a day or two so there won't be any updates for a while.

5. Lance1

Lance1

6. Lawlagram

Lawlagram Thread Starter

Alright, I reinstalled the 64bit ver. of Win7.
    The computer ran fantastic after the fresh install, but after I updated windows it seems to have noticeably slow down. I know some of this is par for the course, but how much is? I went from having a ~50 sec. boot time to ~1:30. It almost seems that updated 32bit runs the same speed as un-updated 64bit and faster then updated 64bit.

Thanks for the link lance, but I saw it after I used the drivers that came on the cd with the mobo. Judging by the "loading screen" of the CD and the fact that I don't have any exclamation marks in the device manager, I think the installer detected the 64bit system. And afterwards I check if I had the most current driver for everything with the device manager. So I think my drivers are correct.

Thanks for all the help guys, I just gotta figure out if the updates installed correctly or not (update history says they were all successful except for one which involves IE, not a high priority for me :) ).

**Edit**
    After some more reading up on drivers, I got the feeling that the drivers on the cd tend to be woefully outdated. So I did install the drivers from the official website, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

The slow down after doing Windows Update is unavoidable. If you don't patch, you will have security vulnerabilities and be game for hackers. Hackers nowadays do it for the money, and there is money in your personal IDs and credit card account #.

Having the latest drivers count towards stability. And that will show itself after a few weeks.

8. replay

replay

u might want to invest in a ssd ..u can get a decent 120 gig on sale for about $70 - $80 keep an eye on this site http://www.techbargains.com/
    OCZ have some good sales, when u install a ssd u will not look back

9. Lance1

Lance1

You got to have a hole in your head to store that in your system. It belongs on paper and stored away.

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

Hi Lance1,

About the credit card account #, I was thinking along the lines of a keylogger or Zeus trojan.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice