1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win7 Upgrade Installation Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jeallen01, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jeallen01

jeallen01 Thread Starter

I am trying to upgrade a Dell 1525 laptop from Vista Home Premium (horrible!) to Win7 Home Premium - and this is what I did:

- I backed all three partitions on the laptop's old disk to an external USB harddisk (in an enclosure) using Paragon Backup and Recovery (free version).

- I partioned a new disk for this laptop into 3 partitions (one Primary and two Logical) by fitting it into a USB caddy connected to a second 1525 (running Win7 Pro) and running MT Solutions Partition Wizard 7, and then formatted all three partitions

- I connected the old harddrive in the external enclosure to the 2nd laptop and used the Paragon Restore function to restore the data to the 2 Logical drives on the harddrive in the caddy, but nothing to the Primary partition.

- I then fitted the new harddrive into the first 1525, set it to boot from the CD/DVD drive and installed Win7 Home Premium from a Upgrade copy - fully understanding that I would have to work around the issue that it is not a full copy and enter the Product Key etc. later in the process before Activation!

- However, when this laptop reboots, it goes through the first Dell screen and then to a blank screen which shows the words "Press any key to boot from the CD or DVD.....".

- Tried setting it to boot first from the harddrive => no boot at all without the CD in the CD/DVD drive.

- Same thing happened when I ran through the full installation process again - except that the process warned me that I would destroy any data on the harddrive C partition if I did a Custom install, which is what I did as the Upgrade route didn't work because it said that there was already an OS on the drive.

- I now realise that I should probably have set the Primary partion to Active - but I can't remember Partition Wizard 7 prompting me to set that, although I do now see that this is an option?

I think I have now answered my own question as I write it (!!!!), but before I take the new disk out, put it back in the caddy and make it Active, is there anything else that I have forgotten to do?
    (It's a very long time since I fully prepared a new harddisk for an OS, and that was using FDISK under XP inside a desktop!)?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Fdisk is an old DOD tool that shouldn't be used on NT systems. Partitioning and formatting are part of setup.

When you restore partitions, you als restore their partition tables. You don't want the old partition tables on a new installation. There was really no reason to make images of non-system drives in the first place. A simple backup of those drives' contents would have been better and then you could copy them to the new drive after you got it all set up with the new installation. Images restore exactly what was there before, and that is not what you want to do if you are changing the OS and the drive setup.

3. jeallen01

jeallen01 Thread Starter

Thanks, but I think you may have slightly misunderstood what I did/wrote, as follows:

I did not use FDISK: all I was saying is that the last time (quite a few years ago!) that I did this sort of task I used FDISK. This time I used a formal GUI-based Windows tool to do the partitioning of the new disk.

Also, I did not image the partitions on the old disk, I used another Windows tool to simply compress and back-up the data on all 3 partitions of the old disk, and then restored these back-ups to 2 of the 3 partitions on the new disk - but left the C partition totally blank apart from formatting it under the first GUI-based tool mentioned above, i.e. the new disk partition table is not that from the old disk for obvious reasons

I backed-up all 3 partitions "just in case" I need anything from any of them during the process of rebuilding the environment/data on the new disk.

Regards

John

4. jeallen01

jeallen01 Thread Starter

Update

I put the new disk back in the disk caddy and took another look at how it was configured.

The critical issue seemed to be that that the C partition was Active, but not "Active & Bootable" like the Priimary C partition of the laptop to which the caddy is connected. Therefore I am currently wiping it and setting its status to InActive - and then I will put in back in the 1st laptop and try another installation of Win7.

Another thought: instead of partitioning the new disk before I installed Win7, should I have simply installed that on the completely fresh unpartitioned/formatted disk, and then done the partitioning/resizing/formatting on the full disk to create the 2nd and 3rd partitions, followed by decompressing and restoring the data files to those partitions?

Thanks in advance for any more comments/info.

John

5. jeallen01

jeallen01 Thread Starter

That did it! :)

Back in the 1st laptop with the Primary partition deleted (and thus not Active), but that disk space unallocated (albeit still showing as a Primary partition) Win 7 then installed cleanly and then booted from the hard disk and past the blank screen with the CD/DVD message - now back to the Desktop, albeit almost totally empty! :D

All the data restored from the old hard-drive is still present on the 2nd & 3rd partitions

Moral: You can partition a new disk before you install Win7 - but DON'T format the Primary partition or make it Active before you install the OS.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice