win7/vista dual boot deletion.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Berzerk

I have win7 and vista installed on separate drives as dual boot. I want to remove vista completely.

how do I delete it without messing the boot up?.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Really separate drives, or partitions on the same drive? Which is the System/Active and which the Boot?

It may help somebody help you if you can show a screen shot of the Disk Manager window from either OS.

Berzerk

seperate drives...i gues win7 is the system/boot i dont know which is active...

What order were they installed? Did the boot manager get installed automatically when you installed one of them, and if so, which one?

We need to know which drive is the boot drive. You could test by disconnecting the Vista drive. Does 7 still boot normally? If so, then you can just use EasyBCD to remove Vista from the boot menu. If not, use it and/or Startup Repair to make 7 bootable. When 7 will boot by itself, then restore the other drive and format it if you want to use it for images or storage.

antech

Banned
Which windows was installed earlier?
If Vista was,
Then the Active Partition must be the vista one and same applies for Windows 7

Berzerk

Vista was installed first, can i disable the hdd in bios?

EDIT

this is what easybcd says

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Windows 7

Entry #1

Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium (recovered)
BCD ID: {3eff826e-5385-11df-b244-ac8b73b90d29}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
You can just remove the entries for Vista and do what you like with the second drive.

Windows 7 and the boot code are both on the First drive that is currently being booted to first.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
I agree with DaveBurnett. As Elvandil said you can first test by disconnecting the Vista drive, and disabling it in BIOS should also work.

I don't think it matters in what order they were installed. I would use a bootable partition editor (like a live linux CD) to "hide" the Vista partition. (you could just delete it but "hiding" it allows you to recover it if necessary)

Then I'd boot to the Windows 7 DVD and run start-up repair.

Then, if everything runs/boots smoothly, go ahead and delete the Vista installation.

Edit: Ooops, forgot they're on two different drives, so (as has been said) just unhooking the Vista drive and then doing a start-up repair will work. However, my method will work with separate drives or separate partitions.

antech

Banned
I don't think it matters in what order they were installed. I would use a bootable partition editor (like a live linux CD) to "hide" the Vista partition. (you could just delete it but "hiding" it allows you to recover it if necessary)

Then I'd boot to the Windows 7 DVD and run start-up repair.

Then, if everything runs/boots smoothly, go ahead and delete the Vista installation.

Edit: Ooops, forgot they're on two different drives, so (as has been said) just unhooking the Vista drive and then doing a start-up repair will work. However, my method will work with separate drives or separate partitions.
DVOM,it does matters in which order they were installed.
If Vista,
Then it can be a possibility that the Windows 7 partition has it's BootSector on the Vista Drive.
If that would be the case,a MBR Fix would be required

antech, in my experience, Windows 7 startup repair takes care of all that.

My experience with this:

When I dual boot, I like to do it by hiding/unhiding the OS partitions (OS partitions are primary) to avoid this very problem,.

When I tried to setup my new Toshiba laptop as a dual boot, I discovered that the original Win 7 OS and my second OS had both put their boot files on a 1.5 Gig non-labeled partition at the first of the drive. (I had ignored this drive as I had never run into this kind of setup before, therefore I hadn't "hidden" it) From a linux live USB, this partition is labeled as "System" and contains all the boot files. Neither OS had boot files in their C drive.

List of files on "System" partition:

bootmgr
BOOTSECT.BAK
grldr
Win7.ld
WinREPartition.ini

So I wanted to take that "System" partition out of the equation and have both OS's boot independently.
I then "hid" the "System" partition and each OS one at a time and neither OS would boot.

Then, leaving the "System" partition hidden, I hid each OS one at a time and ran Win 7 startup repair twice, once for each OS.

That completely fixed the problem. Now each OS has all those boot files except for WinREPartition.ini and each boots completely independently. I can now delete/reinstall/restore an image of either of these OSs without damaging the other.

But it's the removal of that separate boot partition that's pertinent to the OP's problem and either hiding or formatting of the boot /original OS partition and running Win 7 startup repair on the remaining OS does the job.

At least that's how it worked out for me.

antech

Banned
The "System" partition you are talking about here is optional to create.
I am not saying that your opinion is useless.
I am just posting my suggestion.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online