1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win7 wireless bridge between wired and wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shadycuz, Jun 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shadycuz

shadycuz Thread Starter

I found this site because this thread showed up in google search http://forums.techguy.org/networking/1080084-network-bridge-wifi-ethernet-win7.html . This is what I'm having problem with.

So here is my situation. I got a ubee router down stairs. I'm in the attic on my gaming/workstation/media server. I have all the cables and equipment to run GigE but this house was built over a 100 years ago and running much cable wont be easy.My signal in the attic isnt great but its fair *according to windows. I used the ethernet port on my motherboard upstairs and my netgear GigE hub to make a small lan for my extra gaming computer and file server. Now when I did a bridge i thought the DHCP on the router would find and give ip's to the stuff upstairs "behind the bridge" but it didnt and manual forwarding was hit and miss. So I tried ICS but that didnt work either. Then I realized I had to change the router to hand out 192.168.1 address instead of 192.168.0 but when I retried thebridge that didnt work but the ICS did. The DNS was really slow for the computers behind the ics host. My main problems is I'm notliking the ICS firewall. Stuff "in front of the host" cant see services behind it and vice versa.

For example my server behind the ICS host (gettings its IP from the win7 host) is running a bf1942 dedicated server. Every thing upstairs thats on ICS including the host can see it and connect. But nothing downstairs regardless of the OS. Now if I start a server downstairs nothing upstairs can see it even the host? which is strange. Bug in win7? why dont the wirednetwork adapter have a gateway? wouldnt the gateway be the wireless nic address? Ive done bridges before with routers using ddr-wrt and it was a breeze. I have to have this working right. I just moved here and I work from home on my computer. I messed with this for serveral hours. Another weird thing I notices was my router doesnt do DNS relay but it can be turned on. Here is my host ipconfig, to tired tonight to do the others. Will make a network diagram if it will help. Thanks, Levi

C:\Windows\System32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Levi-Tower
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-22-0B-DD-00-0E
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8454:afee:f885:6eca%12(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.137.1(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 363602443
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1B-37-B7-A7-00-13-46-6E-EF-8F

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link AirPlus DWL-G520 Wireless PCI Adap
    ter(rev.B)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-46-6E-EF-8F
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2607:fcc8:fe60:a00:9046:3d8f:85a7:5cd7(Pr
    eferred)
    Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2607:fcc8:fe60:a00:197:f012:fcee:b3a8(Pre
    ferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9046:3d8f:85a7:5cd7%10(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, June 29, 2014 9:03:26 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 30, 2014 1:03:38 AM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::a3e:8eff:fefa:206b%10
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 184554310
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1B-37-B7-A7-00-13-46-6E-EF-8F

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.18.47.61
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter isatap.{0C1C5E06-103B-4073-9184-82697E88182C}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter isatap.{C3CF94A4-378D-421E-A7D2-AB707AE2F4B1}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

C:\Windows\System32>

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Because it is not needed, and would possibly cause problems if it were there. Not needed because the only traffic to be routed over that 192,.168.137.x subnet has an IP in that subnet. Any other traffic should be routed over the wireless network.

3. shadycuz

shadycuz Thread Starter

That's cool but when I was in bridged mode it said my wired connection was a unidentified network ave sick it in public mode and everything I found online pointed to the gate way not being filled out. I found a post that said I could point it at itself or any computer behind the bridge abs that would let me change the network to private but I haven't tried it because my dhcp won't work behind the bridge, that's my main problem. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to buy a cheap router that will do a wireless to wireless bridge/extender/repeater or one of those power line networking things.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I was responding to your question relative to ICS.

Some older routers (don't know about newer ones) have a bug in that when they try to assign an IP to a device "behind a bridge" they assign the same IP as the bridged computer already has--results, of course, in duplicate IP and at least one (usually the device behind the bridge) does not work. If this is happening an attempted fix is to update the router's firmware (if available). A workaround is to assign static IP configurations to the devices behind the bridge.

If you try the bridge again be sure to disable ICS, make sure the ethernet has reverted to 'obtain IP auto' and then bridge the connections.

5. shadycuz

shadycuz Thread Starter

I do remember getting a duplicate ip warning in bridged mode and being very confused. I'll try the static addresses and bridged tonight. My other question is with the routers dhcp doesn't hand it it's own address as the dns it hands out the actual dns it's given by the isp. Should I turn dns relay on our does it not matter since I'm going static. I thought dns relay might speed up the resolving of local host names using netbios or something. Win 7 right now won't see my one computer even though it will ping it but I can manually type in its network path and see it's share. Typed from my phone, sorry for any misspellings.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Most of the time using the router's IP as the DNS works fine. Sometimes it doesn't, and then use an actual DNS on the computer (or other device). I think that (at least some) routers have their own DNS cache, so using the router as DNS may slightly speed up resolutions.

7. shadycuz

shadycuz Thread Starter

Okay so, this kinda helped. First I turned off the ICS and remade the bridge. DHCP still wasnt working so I manually did my LA-SERVER to 192.168.1.20 with a gateway of 192.168.1.1 and same with DNS. The bridge was 192.168.1.5. The LA-Server could ping the router but not the bridge? Even though the bridge could ping it. When I did tracert it said is was tracing 192.168.1.5 LA-SERVER? But thats not right because 192.168.1.20 is LA-Server? Clicking repair and having it refresh dns cache had no affect. The whole time the bridge 192.168.1.5 could ping LA-SERVER 192.168.1.20 but not the other way around. The fix was setting every thing on the bridge to manual IP information and eveything is working fine =)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1128730

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice