1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WIN7 & XP PRO3 network blues...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by twlunn, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twlunn

twlunn Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I had a workgroup at home, 3 machines all xp pro3, you could share and print between all of them. Worked great all the time, no problems at all. View workgroups on all the machines, all the time.

Purchased new PC w/WIN7, removed old desktop from router, put new WIFI card in older PC.

But I am a little stuck trying to connect Windows 7 to it. So far I have my WIN 7 as the main PC (wired to router>modem) which I created the workgroup on and my 3 other XP machines are connected wireless to my workgroup name. (or should I say that's what I want to do :()

Have run network setup wizard on all XP's, numerous times!
    "workgroup" name is the same, files and printing shared, verified shared folders on each.
    when you click on "view workgroup computers" on the XP PC's it says "Network not accessable, you might not have permissions, also "NOT ENOUGH STORAGE SPACE AVAILABLE"

Have created a Homegroup on Windows 7, but cant see my other PC's using "Network" all that shows up other than the Win7 PC are the networked printer (UPNP) and an Xbox for the kids.

I have a few shares on the WIN7 (and it says they are shared), when folders are right clicked and you select "share with" it has a padlock on "nobody". I tell it to share with home goup with read/write and it stays padlocked to nobody.

It shows my workgroup name at the bottom of the Computer window as being correct, but in "Network and sharing" it says "Network 3" in blue, Home network in black. Access type: Internet, HomeGroup: joined, connections: LAN.

In Network and sharing center I have set:
    Network discovery to on.
    File & Print to on.
    Even turned on Public folder sharing
    File sharing connections: was using 128 encryption, tried 40-50 also. All XPs are WPA(PSK)-TKIP
    Homegroup connections: is set to allow windows to manage.
    Password protected sharing is off.

Clicked Start, type workgroup in the Search and choose "Change workgroup Name", it's not changed.

Have done the below many times:
    Have verified my workgroups are the same, gone into the Network and Sharing Center, selected Change Advanced Sharing settings and made certain the various discovery and file sharing options are available and enabled.

New PC had Mcaffe suite installed. It could see on a network map it has, all my devices in the group. So I turned off the firewall and still no luck. Not knowing my way around Mcaffee I uninstalled it. Still no luck with windows firewall off on all PC's in group.
    In WIN7's "network window" it only see's the WIN7 PC and the UPnP printer.

Network adapter is a realtek PCIe GBE, I played around with enabling all "Large Send Offload(IPv4)", "Large Send Offload v2(IPv4)" and "Large Send Offload v2(IPv6)"
    Still no luck. (by the way, forgot how these were originally set?)

Even downloaded hotfix for Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120) on the XP machines.

Going on third day of frustration, and need some guidance,

Thanks, T

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/880805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice