1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Win8.1 and Dlink WBR-1310 router don't communicate.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by vmlathim, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vmlathim

vmlathim Thread Starter

I just recently received a new laptop from my daughter, a Toshiba Satellite C50 running Windows 8.1. I have a Dlink WBR-1310 Wireless router. All of my other devices have no problem connecting to the router. The devices are; an XP PC, which I am using now, a Dell Venue 7, an Xbox, and several current Android phones.

The Toshiba sees the router, but when I enter the WEP it won't connect. And yes, the Dlink is supposedly compatible with Win8. I have tried a variety of things to get the two to talk to each other and so far nothing has worked. I'm seriously thinking I'm going to have to hardwire the laptop which means I'll be tripping over a cable!

What am I missing here? I really can't afford to go buy a new router at this time.

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi VMLathim, welcome to the TSG Forums...:D

Are you absolutely 100% sure that you are entering the correct Password for the Router..? Is there any possibility that you could have changed the Password at some time and forgotten that you changed it..? Have you physically checked the Password with one of your other devices..?

T.

3. vmlathim

vmlathim Thread Starter

Yes, I am very sure. In fact I changed the password to 64 bit, it was 128 bit. And then I went around to all my devices to update the new password. Everything works but the Toshiba.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

Have you checked the Firewall settings?

Is there any setting in your security setup that could be preventing the connection?

T.

5. vmlathim

vmlathim Thread Starter

I'll check it, the Firewall.

And since all of my other devices are working with not connectivity problem it isn't the security problem. The Toshiba "sees" the network.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does it connect OK with encryption disabled on the router? If so, with WPA-PSK encryption?

7. vmlathim

vmlathim Thread Starter

I haven't tried that, will do that next. I have apt this morning so will do so as soon as I get back. Thank you for your assistance.

8. Tabvla

Tabvla

Apologies if my post was not clear.... I didn't mean the Router, I meant the security settings on the Toshiba - either the security settings within Windows or 3rd-party security software.

T.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice